• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Borellii?

pawel

Is this an a. borellii female?

CFA60612-426A-4837-A096-8DE58F670EFE-2894-000001226F79FD99_zpse3703de3.jpg

Rod

5 Year Member
I'd say.....No

Wrong body shape and with female borelli the lateral line stripe has a zig-zag pattern

Have a look on goggle....I'd post a photo but have got into strife posting other peoples images before....so....in your court

pawel

Hmm, wrong body shape ? Well , here is the video of it with the fry.

I just got 6 of them and just after 2 weeks they breeded. Any input is appreciated, thanks.

Rod

5 Year Member
Well done....

Not A borelli....looking at the video....I'd say they are the ones breed in Asia sold as Apistogramma sp "blue head"

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I just got 6 of them and just after 2 weeks they breeded. Any input is appreciated, thanks.
They are Apistogramma "Steel-Blue". Their origin is unknown, and they may be a hybrid, but they breed true and with healthy fry.
You need to keep an eye out for aggression as the males are quite aggressive to one another.
Have a look here: <http://www.dwarfcichlid.com/Apistogramma_sp_Steel_blue.php>

cheers Darrel

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Thanks guys, which kind is more expensive ?
That is an interesting question, "Steel-Blue" are nearly always sold as something else, (often as A. borellii), so they don't have their own value. My suspicion would be that as properly named "Steel-Blue" they would be worth slightly less.

My first "pair" of Apistogramma borellii was 2 male "Blue-steel", and when I eventually found a female she was carrying a Camallanus infection and I lost all 3.

Locally in the UK (Bristol/Swindon) I haven't seen A. "Steel-Blue" for a while, but A. borellii are available in both yellow and blue morphs, and both sexes, for about £15 - £20 a pair (yellow and "Opal" in MA at Leekes Melksham, yellow smaller and cheaper). A couple of years ago nearly all the Apistogrammas for sale were "Blue-Steel", often as "pairs" of "A. agassizii" or "A. borellii" and in both cases all males.

The other Apistogramma we used to see was A. macmasteri, usually as "pairs" and again often all male. The colourful A. "viejita III" of A. macmasteri was sold for more money as "pairs" and again nearly always all male.

I think this is one of the reasons why Apistogramma aren't more popular., if you've paid £20 for a "pair" of fish, that were wrongly named as well as being the same gender, you aren't likely to go back for some more very quickly.

cheers Darrel

pawel

Dw1305 - this ismexactl what happend to me. They sold me these fish as Borelliis. Hej/czesc polak the male has blue spots all over the head.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Wangenflecken is the German term for 'cheek spots'. It refers to the rusty red spots and streaks seen on the gill covers of many (but not all) males of this species.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loscide

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….