• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

borellii picked a fight with siphon

Lutefisk

Three days ago, I accidentally vacuumed up my male A. borellii while doing a water change. I figured it was just a clump of java moss or subwassertang when I felt a jerk, but imagine my surprise when my poor fish went down the tube into the bucket.

He's missing a bunch of scales from one side of the top of his head (though his eye appears fine), and there's a bit of damage to the membranes of one pectoral and the rear of his dorsal fin. Many of the spiny rays in his dorsal (approx. the front 2/3) appear bent or snapped, giving his dorsal fin a kind of 'rolled' look. I wasn't able to get a good picture with my phone.

What, if anything, should I be doing for treatment? He seems in good spirits, and except for the missing scales, is colored up better than he was before the accident.

Final note: the gravel vac in question was in preparation to treat my tank for ich, as a couple of white dots had appeared on my head and tail light tetras. At the moment, I have my heater dialed up to 30C, and I'm feeding NLS small fish pellets that I've impregnated with metronidazole. I was using Kordon's Ich-Attack, but I ran out of that.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I've done the same in the past, so don't feel like the Lone Ranger.:) I always put the fish in a quarantine tank. Usually dim light, optimal water conditions, peace and quiet, and time is all that is needed. Just keep an eye out for ich or fungal infections and treat if they appear. Personally, 30° is a bit stressful on a fish that normally (in the wild) lives in waters <25°. A. borellii have been collected in waters as low as 10°.

Lutefisk

I've done the same in the past, so don't feel like the Lone Ranger.:) I always put the fish in a quarantine tank. Usually dim light, optimal water conditions, peace and quiet, and time is all that is needed. Just keep an eye out for ich or fungal infections and treat if they appear. Personally, 30° is a bit stressful on a fish that normally (in the wild) lives in waters <25°. A. borellii have been collected in waters as low as 10°.

Hi Mike, thanks for the advice and the kind words! I don't normally keep these guys at 30°, nor do I want to keep doing it--the fateful vacuum was in response to the first signs of ich in the tank, and I'm trying to use heat as part of the treatment. Hopefully, I'll be back to 24° in another week or so.

Lutefisk

Well, in a startlingly short amount of time, he's at least regained enough tissue on his face to color the scraped patches back up. His dorsal fin is still gnarly, but he's busy doing a little horizontal shimmy dance and flashing his colors for the females. Is going from max blue/gold to pale with a big black streak while he dances courtship, or aggression?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….