• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bolivian Ram - Sick?

E

eliatan

Guest
Hi there

I have looked all over the net as well as many forums and have not been able to find an answer. I have three Bolivian rams in a 180 liter tank. All are well except the one - not sure if it is male or female - has three brown/reddish spikes comming from its anus. It is eating , swimming and interacting with the other fish - so it does not appear sick. What could it be? Is it serious. I did try and take a photo but it is not very clear.

Thanks
 

Cathy G

New Member
5 Year Member
Messages
195
Location
Wisconsin
Do a search here for camalanus nematodes. Sounds like your fish has these. Levimasole is the treatment of choice. Is the fish still eating?
Cathy
 
E

eliatan

Guest
No, this morning he is just hiding behind a rock.
I will do a search as you suggested and if I don't come right do you mind if I ask for more help?
 
E

eliatan

Guest
Help!!

I live in South Africa and I can't seem to find any of this stuff. I have phoned about 10 different pet stores. I have phoned my vet and am waiting for her to come back to me.

Is there something else I can use?
 

Cathy G

New Member
5 Year Member
Messages
195
Location
Wisconsin
Have you checked for ingredients are your local farm and feed stores? It is a common wormer, it can be in sheep bolus tablets, or in pig wormers. I don't know of anything else that works... I've never had an outbreak of these worms so don't know much about them.
Cathy
 
E

eliatan

Guest
Thanks so much for your help.

After I had finished panicking this morning I phoned the local veternary university and a lovely professor there has arranged to get me some. She said she is not sure how I am supposed to dose but I have printed out the pages where you have explained and will take them to her this afternoon.

I haven't isolated him/her yet - should I?

How many treatements should I do in order to make sure it is completely gone? . Must I do a full water change - my tank is only 1 and half months old - or should I just treat once a week for the next six weeks?

Natalie
 

Cathy G

New Member
5 Year Member
Messages
195
Location
Wisconsin
Let's wait and see if somebody else chimes in here.

Your tank is cycled is it not? 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites? You can do a large water change, but don't vaccuum your gravel, or clean your filter or anything in case your tank isn't totally stable.

I'd also treat the whole tank - could be others in the water and now in some of the other fish. I'd also follow recommendations here - I don't believe I've ever read about treating every 6 weeks. I think you want to dose, let it go for a few days. Do a water change and dose again. I know that the stuff is pretty safe.

Good Luck!!
Cathy
 
E

eliatan

Guest
yes , my tank is cycled.

I will get the stuff and use it tonight. I will give you all feedback.

I just wish I had found this site earlier as I just hope I have caught it quick enough and my ram does not die.

Touch wood everyone else seems fine but as the stuff is not "lethal" I will definately treat them all.

I have an apple snail in the tank - must I tank him out first?

Sorry for all the questions.

Natalie
 

Cathy G

New Member
5 Year Member
Messages
195
Location
Wisconsin
Natalie,
I have no idea about the snail - sorry! If you have another tank, better to be safe then sorry, I'd remove him. (It)
Cathy
 
E

eliatan

Guest
Hi Cathy

Not to worry , I moved him. I have shoved the stuff in and my ram is looking a little better this morning. He actually swum to the glass when i came there.

I will report on his condition - which hopefully will improve.

Thanks so much for your help.

Natalie
 
E

eliatan

Guest
Hi all again

Thank you so much Cathy - it would appear that my ram has made a full recovery. I have treated my big tank as well for just in case and so far there have been no fatalities.

My ram was swimming around in his little quarantine tank this morning as if there had been nothing wrong. I will keep him isolated for a while and see how he does.

Once again I thank you and I am sure if he could he would.

Natalie
 

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
18,792
Messages
125,189
Members
13,675
Latest member
Phap

Latest profile posts

Re-designing and starting a new fish room all over again. This time we'll have many more Apistsogramma species. We are expanding.
dimandobson wrote on Arnold's profile.
hi
dimandobson wrote on Ben Bergman's profile.
Hi Bergman. I have a pair of breeding dwarf cichlid for sale. if you are still looking, drop me your whatsapp number and i will send some videos to your whatsapp
martin_c wrote on illumnae's profile.
Hi,

just in case you happen to live in Germany (or Netherlands): I have a wildcaught female A. psammophila, you could have it for free. I have no use for it anymore.

BR
Martin
Top