• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

bloated apisto

Southern fist

I received a male A. Trifasciata in via mail about 3 weeks ago. Out of the box, i thought he has a slightly swollen belly, but couldn't be sure. weeks later, the swelling is worse. He is swimming and eating normally. I treated for parasites with Paraguard for several days, then stopped when I wasn't seeing improvement. Water quality is great - clean and soft.

i've researched this and from what I can tell, if it were bloat, he would have died by now. I've tried peas, and i'm going to buy some frozen daphnia unless someone can offer a better suggestion. Peas seem to be the only thing he spits out honestly.
'
Any other ideas of something to try?

Thanks in advance,
Ridley

Southern fist

one more thing, i've been feeding mostly frozen brine shimp, as I understand they are relatively high in fiber.
Ridley

MacZ

Could you please post your water parameters, maintenance schedule and a picture of the tank and one of the fish?

What many people call bloat is actually dropsy, which is a symptom of bacterial infections. Those often show up when the fish have been treated with too many meds before by the wholesaler and retailer. Sometimes also as a secondary infection.

Also: Peas don't help with anything, it's an urban legend.

Anyhow, without the info asked for above it will be extremely hard to help.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….