• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Best small school for Apistos?

MikeNYC

5 Year Member
I am considering either: a school of lemon tetras or a school of silver tip tetras. I love both of their golden colors and similar shapes.

Anyone have experience with either fish? I have heard more negative stories about silver tips, that they are a little nippy. My Apistos like to rule, so i don't want a fish that will challenge them. But, I can't imagine either fish will contest a pair of Apistos.

Any guidance on either fish would be appreciated.

Thanks

KenL

5 Year Member
If you plan on raising fry you might be better off with something like pencil fish. Tetras are pretty adept at picking off fry.

cdawson

5 Year Member
KenL said:
If you plan on raising fry you might be better off with something like pencil fish. Tetras are pretty adept at picking off fry.

Agreed, pencilfish and hatchet fish are your best bet, lemon and silver tips are far too predacious to be kept with fry.

kenkht

5 Year Member
Will Endler's Livebearer and Killies be a problem for Apisto Fries? I would like to breed the Endlers and also thinking of keeping and breeding Apistos. The problem is that I have only 1 tank. I wonder if it is possible.

I have a 30g tank (footprint 30in x 15in) and very heavilly planted with Java fern, Nana, Java moss and some floating duck weeds.

KenL

5 Year Member
Endler's livebearers (a strain of Guppy, yes?) will probably not do well in soft/acidic water required for breeding most Apisto species. What is the water in this tank like at the moment?

Killi-fish, although good compatability in terms of water chemistry and OK with adults are very predacious. The only killi that would not be a problem with fry in my opinion are the rocket killi, Pseudoepiplatis annulatus. These are really attractive, small and like to live at the surface in floating plants. You may even get some fry of their's appearing at the same time and hiding well in floating plants.

Greg PL

5 Year Member
Endler livebearers should do well in soft water, you may even see some of their fry survive if the vegetation is realy dense. they pose no treat to apisto youngsters.

MudFrog

5 Year Member
Endlers originally come from a hard water pond in Venezuela. They will live in soft water and you might even see a fry or two but soft water is not a good choice if your breeding.

I had endlers in a 90 gallon took as many as I could out...started softening the water for the Apisto's and the one male endler I had in there lost all color and now looks like a female.

The Apisto's don't bother them...yet. But mine are still very small. I don't know what will happen when they start breeding. As you know Endlers swim in all area's of the tank so they will meet sooner or later.

Lisa

kenkht

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the advise. I have decided to give the Endlers' their own tank. I guess, for breeding, it is best to have species tank. :)

kenkht

5 Year Member
While we are on this subject...

How about Harlequin (Rasbora heteromorpha). Do they disturb Apisto's Fries?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….