• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

BAC Auction

Ron

5 Year Member
Is anyone, or has anyone ever gone to the Brampton Aquarium Club fish auction? It is happening this Saturday.
I've never gone to one before, but I think I'll check it out and was wondering what to expect.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:D

Here is my advice on how to go to auctions:

1) Make a list of what you think you want to buy. Be specific... species, size/age, number, etc. List them by priority.
2) Write the retail price for each item on your list... if you do not know, at least write what you are willing to pay.
3) Go to the auction early and go look at the tables carefully. Find bags you might like to buy, and write the bag number down on your list.
4) Look for multiple bags!!! Frequently the third or fourth bag sells for very little money in an auction.
5) Take CASH... and only as much as you are willing to spend. Leave the credit cards and checkbook at home.
6) Do not bid higher than your limit on any bag.... get the name of the breeder off the bag, and if you did not win the auction, try to find that person and make a side deal.

Have fun!

:D

aspen

5 Year Member
i have been, and i was surprised i had a good time! i never saw myself as the 'fish club' kind of guy.

they have lots of stuff on the tables, and it is worth planning to stay till the end. if there is 15 worm cultures, the cheapest ones go at the end f/i.

a word of advice... if you see 'gold spot dwarf bushy nose plecos'- BUY some! they are ideal for smaller tanks, and they will actually breed for you without too much trouble. there is someone at that club breeding them, and i bought some there, but i didn't give them the best of conditions, and they died one by one. but, there will be some deals there, for sure. they also have a small fish show, and you will be sure to meet lots of real fish guys there.

and as with any auction, follow ted's advice. bidding gets stupid once in a while.

ron, if you end up going, pm me on friday night. maybe we can meet up there.

rick

Ron

5 Year Member
I'll let you know Friday. I am going to go, I just dont know when..9:30-6:00pm is a big window and the longer I am gone, the more nervous my bank account (and wife) will get.
So..is it a silent auction? or are things being sold throughout the day?

mordor

5 Year Member
99% of my dwarfs come from PCCA auctions. I have learned that got best result buying school of fry rather pair of adults. Young fish are more like to aclimate to your tank conditions. It takes longer to get them breed but they usually much healthier.

aspen

5 Year Member
when i went, i came late. there is a time where people can just walk around, and see what is on the tables, as they are setting up, and write down numbers of things they may want. then the auction starts. there is everything to do with fish there, pretty well, except no big tanks.

last time i bought some plant clippings for 50 cents each a biolife55 internal wet/dry filter for 25 bucks, a 30 scratched gal tank for 10 bucks, and some of those bushy nose plecos. i also got a white worm culture for 2 bucks, and some other things which i can't even remember. there were single discus in bags, and many other fish and supplies. overall, it was a pretty good experience, and i would suggest that you bring a cooler, for any live stuff. things go pretty fast, they have limited time constraints. but as i said, if there is something that you consider must have, check to see if there is one being auctioned later. the prices drop, as the room clears, ime. oh, and there were TONS of guppy's and platys as i remember. they werent wasting any time on these, they wanted things to move along quickly.

i'm not sure that i can make it, but i might just go for a couple of hours.

rick

Ron

5 Year Member
Well, came back from my first auction and had a great time. I wasn't expecting so many people, or items.
Thanks for the advice about not buying the first lot and taking only the cash that you want to spend.
I picked up some cribs, anubias, a pair of Rams, a trio of Aggies, and some gold spotted bushy nosed plecos.
So, where is the next auction in Ontario?
jk

S

stargurl

Ron said:
Well, came back from my first auction and had a great time. I wasn't expecting so many people, or items.
I was going to go, I even put the flyer on the fridge to remind myself.. but instead I spent my Sunday trying to figure out why half the main floor of my house was (and still is - ugh) without power. I'm just happy I found an extension cord long enough to run to one of my tanks, and that only one tank was affected.

Wish I could have made it, though.

Neil

stargurl,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Welcome aboard, stargurl. We are getting quite a large Canadian contingent. You guys/gals are going to outnumber us Americans pretty soon.
Neil

S

stargurl

Ooh, I could have used you :) As of last night, things are okay. But thanks for the offer :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….