• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby Cacatuoides - how can i save them ?

rawdog

5 Year Member
:D I am hoping for some advice regading my cacatuoides fry ( 4 days old )

:eek: a few weeks ago my female caca turned yellow and tried to kill all her tank mates then rushing back to her cave, I noticed eggs in there and read on many sites that this species can be a bit nasty while breeding so i proceeded to set up a temporary divider between her cave and her tank mates (to protect her eggs from them and them from her).

:wink: I started cycling a 70 lt tank imediately now down to 1ppm ammonia - havent tested nitrite yet but hoping will be ready within a few weeks, anyway at the top of this divider are holes wich allow the main tank water to flow in but the fry can also swim out ( although mum does a good job of preventing that for now anyway )

8) I would like to move the fry and mom to the new (more secure) tank with a bare bottom as removing uneaten food pianstaking task with fry hiding in the gravel

:wink: so my questions are:

:?: how do i transport 2 week old fry ? and do i move mom or fry first and

:?: will mum still accept her babies in the new location ?

:) btw the mom and fry side of the divider also has a sponge filter, heater and even a tiny powerfilter (loaded with wool - tested is fry safe) pumping their water over into the other side to get rid of uneaten bbs

:D 8O :) :? :p 8) :eek: :lol: :wink: :roll: :wink: :D

Neil

rawdog,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

how do i transport 2 week old fry ? and do i move mom or fry first and

will mum still accept her babies in the new location ?

That is a tough problem. Sometimes you can wait until after the lights go out and mom brings the babies back into the cave. They are then easier to suck out with a small tube (netting is unlikely). It is probable that mom will accept the fry in new surroundings, but not a given! Probably the safest thing to do is keep the divider and leave things the way they are or pull the male. If you manage your feedings (small feedings more often, there should not be any problems. If you leave the divider and the male, it is entirely likely that the male will not eat the fry, even if they swim to his side. He has a big stake in the fry, as well, and want to see his genes passed on. I love advocating the males abilities in the raising of young, because I have had so much success in having the father raise the fry. They usually aren't as good at herding, etc., but I have found them to be less likely to wipe out an entire batch of fry than the female.

btw the mom and fry side of the divider also has a sponge filter, heater and even a tiny powerfilter (loaded with wool - tested is fry safe) pumping their water over into the other side to get rid of uneaten bbs

Sounds like you have plenty of filtration. I would tend to manage your feedings carefully and leave thing alone. If you are nervous, remove the barrier and the male. Do water changes without gravel vaccing for a few weeks and then do it carefully in stages. When the fry are on the right side, vac the left. Then when they move to the left, vac the right.

Good luck,

Neil

rawdog

5 Year Member
wow that was quick thanks Neil, sounds like good advice I'm not taking any chances with these cuties, I forgot to mention I have already reluctantly pulled the male as he was eating the occasional fry (maybe had his reasons but I didnt agree) I will give him another chance next time

If you are nervous, remove the barrier and the male <-- quote

all hell would break loose if i removed the barrier - the fry were staying fairly low for the first few days but as their confidence is increasing they are getting dangerously close to the barrier vents, maybe i will just have to improve the barrier - just gotta work out how to let water in and keep fry inside too - filter wool maybe - the filters on the fry side are not cycled so i can not seal it completely

my fry send their thank you also

rawdog

5 Year Member
I am feeding frozen baby brine shrimp, tetra spirulina flakes ground into powder, and shredded frozen bloodworm - plus whatever they find on the sponge filter. Ive got tetra color bits but the adults dont like it i doubt the fry will

not a text book diet but they take all of the above - Ive seen them with my magnifying glass 8O

Ive got these vingar eels wich i havent tried yet looks a bit nasty (vinegar in my tank)

i will post a photo of them - i'd like to know if they are well nourished

aspen

5 Year Member
i have had better luck moving the tankmates out, if you can do it without disturbing the female too much. i use 2 nest, 1 i lay in the tank and get them used to it, then corral each fish into it with a smaller net 1 by 1.

rick

rawdog

5 Year Member
yeah moving the tankmates out would be an option but my spare tank is only a 2 footer (maybe a bit small for some of my larger fish) but my main concern is raising the fry in a tank with gravel although as Neil suggested i can clean 1 side then the other while mum and fry are on the opposite side

Neil - I didnt mention this is a community tank, is that why u suggested removing the divider. I never meant to breed this fish I would have been better prepared, I will be next time :oops:

Mickljd

rawdog,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

That is a tough problem. Sometimes you can wait until after the lights go out and mom brings the babies back into the cave. They are then easier to suck out with a small tube (netting is unlikely). It is probable that mom will accept the fry in new surroundings, but not a given! Probably the safest thing to do is keep the divider and leave things the way they are or pull the male. If you manage your feedings (small feedings more often, there should not be any problems. If you leave the divider and the male, it is entirely likely that the male will not eat the fry, even if they swim to his side. He has a big stake in the fry, as well, and want to see his genes passed on. I love advocating the males abilities in the raising of young, because I have had so much success in having the father raise the fry. They usually aren't as good at herding, etc., but I have found them to be less likely to wipe out an entire batch of fry than the female.

Sounds like you have plenty of filtration. I would tend to manage your feedings carefully and leave thing alone. If you are nervous, remove the barrier and the male. Do water changes without gravel vaccing for a few weeks and then do it carefully in stages. When the fry are on the right side, vac the left. Then when they move to the left, vac the right.

Good luck,

Neil
Hi guys, also new to the group and Apistos, I di some reading up on them and thought I would have a go while I had a fairly unpopulated community tank. So I purchased a pair 3 weeks ago and added them to my fairly new and cycled 55 gallon tank. I had a group of guppies and endlers in there and decided to add these pair as a lower feature. The tank has a large piece of timber, on white sand and is medium planted mainly at a low level for hiding places as I plan to add Kuhli’s and a red tail black shark at a later date. Two days ago I noted the female was out a lot less so have kept an eye on things. This morning to my surprise while feeding I noticed the female herding a batch of young in the rear darker corner of the tank. Both parents are displaying great pen skills, as text book, female stays close, leaving to feed returning quickly the male patrols a wider area and chases any intruding guppies etc pretty quick. I am currently feeding all small pellets and crush some up for smaller endler young. I take it this will suffice for my apistos too? Over the moon, I have read contrasting text that recommend separation and others that say not to worry. My plan is to leave all as is and see what develops, very difficult to check numbers of fry but guess around 20 would this be normal? Happy fish keeper today any info, advice, or comments much appreciated cheers

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Please don't be disappointed if you lose most or all of the fry. Fortunately you have a larger tank which can help. Unfortunately other bottom-dwelling fish can be a problem by preying on fry or stressing the female to the extent that she might eat them herself. Yes, it happens. Also your fry food isn't ideal for apisto fry. They orient toward moving foods, so once it settles the the bottom it is mostly ignored. As for numbers of fry in a spawn it depends on the species and maturity of the female. Around 50 is average for a mature female, with some species exceeding 100. Just realize if this spawn isn't successful, your pair will breed again. Good luck and enjoy.

Mickljd

I have taken pics and video and can count around 50 they are swimming with very little visible egg sack. Fingers crossed

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….