• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Babies - Yay - Shock - Horror !

madpiano

5 Year Member
ok, I have to admit that I was thinking about giving up my tank. I havent been looking after it since ages. I did buy a pair of Aggassizis at the beginning of the year, the male looks great, the female is tiny and doesnt seem to be growing ( about 3 cm). I didnt think they would ever breed, especially as my water is a bit too hard. Over the last 6-8 weeks I really neglected the tank. Didnt change water, didnt cut the plants and the front glass was covered in algae (tank is next to a window). I didnt feed regulary and sometimes I forgot to swicth on the lights in the morning. Today I decided it is time to change the water, allthough I left the plants alone, as I quite like the jungle look. I hoovered around the floor a bit while changing the water saw nothing bad and finished. Later I decided to do some fish watching and shock horror saw tiny little critters swimming about ! I saw about 3 babies, wasnt sure what they were and then the tiny female Apisto started defending the area, so they are apistos !
I probably hoovered some up today :-((( and I am not sure if any will survive (I have Catfish and a shrimp in there), but I am amazed that they bred at all, especially as they must have been breeding in the open (the cocnut cave is fully overgrown with Java Moss). The female is not very aggressive and allows the neons in the area, but chases the catfish, though not very far. Daddy is completley oblivious. There is some dense plant cover in there (allthough not in the area where the babies are), so I am hoping for the best. No idea what to feed them, I have baby flakes so I put some of those in, but they probably find leftovers on the tank floor anyway ( I feed 99% flakes).
I think once these babies are grown, I will try the neglect routine again. My Nitrates are too low whatever I do (they bareley managed a reading on the test strip today), my plants have gone mad and my fish seem to enjoy it....

madpiano

5 Year Member
Update on the Baby-shock: One male survived and is doing well. He is about 0.8cm now and mummy is still defending him (even against brine shrimp!). He has no colour yet, so I am not sure if he will be as pretty as daddy, but he seems to be doing ok.

Neil

Just imagine what might happen by removing predetory species and throwing in some fresh water might yield! I have the same thing happen to me sometimes, as well. I neglect a tank... algae dominates (which is likely the source of the food to keep new free-swimmers going) and water changes are far and few between (possibly creating are stable water parm. level, as long as the biolode is not high)... and the pair breeds, when they didn't during better care. As the guy in Jurrasic Park said, "Nature finds a way".

Neil

madpiano

5 Year Member
hmm, I like my cherry barbs.....
Did a water test today and I have 0 Nitrates, hardly any Phospahtes (well, algae are good for something....) and the water had gone really soft.
As you said, the water conditions were probably stable due to no water changes and the fishload is well below max (its a Juwel Record 96 with the internal filter removed, so about 29 G and there is hardly any fish in there). Maybe thats the way to go. Understock, load with plants and leave well alone. I am sure the parents will get better with looking after the babies

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….