• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Astatotilapia latifasciata?

Randall

5 Year Member
Astatotilapia latifasciata

Dear Sam,

Astatotilapia latifasciata is a Victorian haplochromine from lakes Kyogo and Nawampasa. In the hobby and among retailers, it is usually known as Zebra Obliquidens.

Males grow to about 4-4.5" and should be fed shrimps, krill, insect larvae and the like to bring out its rich red coloration. This species can be housed in groups in larger aquaria and is a maternal mouthbrooder.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Moi_Eater

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info Randall! I saw some for sale so I was doing a little research before deciding if I should to expand into Victorian cichlids.

I also read that the "real" 'Haplochromis' obliquidens is now extinct. Is that true? Also, what are/were the differences between the "Zebra Obliquidens" and the "real" 'Haplochromis' obliquidens? Thanks much.

Randall

5 Year Member
Haplochromis (Haplochromis) obliquidens

Dear Sam,

Please know that Victorian basin cichlids are not really my thing. I'm much more comfortable with the cichlids on the other side of the continent.

Haplochromis (Haplochromis) obliquidens Hilgendorf 1888 was the first described cichlid from Lake Victoria. Various populations which may or may not be the same species have been recorded in the southern part of the lake. As far as it is known, male H. (H.) obliquidens is essentially a yellow-green fish that has been confused with other species with a similar coloration. I don't know if, in fact, the true H. (H.) obiquidens is extinct in its natural environment or not.

H. (H.) obliquidens is of a lineage with highly specific teeth that differentiates it from the other haplochromines. Astatotilapia latifasciata exhibits a strong vertical bar pattern and a dramatically different coloration from that of H. (H.) obliquidens and is found in lakes Kyogo and Nawampasa, not in Lake Victoria.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Moi_Eater

5 Year Member
Thanks Randall,

I have very little knowledge of Victorian cichlids, but it has increased some thanks to you! I am more interested in learning about the cichlids from West Africa, which is your area of expertise, but I was curious about the Victorian cichlids because of their fate. Thanks again for helping to improve my knowledge as an aquarist!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….