• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Aspidoras sp. ID

Rowdy Hotel

Quality is not great, taken with a camera phone. Purchased a dozen at a local store, needed some small cories to keep some fry tanks clean. Decided these were perfect. Hopefully they stay small.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Most Aspidoras are so similar that most are identified from where they were collected (river, not country) or from examination of preserved specimens by knowledgeable taxonomists. Maybe Eric Bodrock (Pittsburgh) could help you. He is as knowledgeable as anyone I know about calichthyids.

Rowdy Hotel

Is it possible to send one or two somewhere to be identified or are they so similar that they would still need to know what river they are from? How much would something like that cost?

Rowdy Hotel

These are very similar. Perhaps because of my poor quality video but they have the exact same markings.

At least now I can say they look like a. pauciradiatus at least.

hedylogus

5 Year Member
you may also want to try Ian Fuller at CorydorasWorld.com.........he has been maintaining the C-numbers since DATZ quit doing it.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
These are very similar. Perhaps because of my poor quality video but they have the exact same markings.

At least now I can say they look like a. pauciradiatus at least.

90% of all Aspidoras species resemble - and are sold as - A. pauciradiatus. Ian Fuller is the best place for ID. He is very exacting in his work. He also live in the UK. Eric Bodrock, in Pittsburgh, works closely with Ian. When I was in Pittsburgh earlier this year, Eric showed me his old fish room (new house, new fish room since then). He had several Aspidoras species in his tanks at the time.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….