• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Are these A. hongsloi?

Cassandra

I recently purchased these two under the name Apistogramma hongsloi. The pale one is supposed to be a female and the other, darker one, a male. But I'm in doubt as they both look like females to me, and neither of them has the lateral line formed as a ladder, which I read is typical for the hongsloi complex. Rather the line shows more of a zigzac pattern, perhaps indicating being a species within the macmasteri complex? But then again - they both lack red stripes on their caudal fins... The red stripe that extends along the body from the tail, above the anal fin (typical for the hongsloi) are not visible either. So I'm really confused. Can anyone help me?

Attachments

• 20190610_221256.jpg
    20190610_221256.jpg
    416.1 KB · Views: 740
  • 20190530_201822.jpg
    20190530_201822.jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 709

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hard to be absolutely sure, but they probably are A. hongsloi. Most common domestic raised fish are sold under the correct name - unless mixed with other species in the same tank. Full expression of the lateral band depends on mood. Add to that, not knowing size/age, my guess is that they are fairly small/young and haven't developed their mature color. They appear to be one of the pale domestic strains that at a young age can often show a lateral band that looks like that of other macmasteri-group species.

Cassandra

Thank you so much But what about the gender? Do you have any clue? They are around 4 cm. in lenght. What can I look for in determing the sex of these two? I've been told that the males will loose the black colour on the ventral fins, while the females will keep theirs? Are there any typical behaviour traits to look for? As for now, the darker one keeps chasing the pale one around. Sometimes "she" approaches "him" in a more gentle way, showing what I would guess is courting behaviour (flicking the body from side to side, while turning yellow). The "male" just doesn't seem interested AT ALL. More like terrified actually

Cassandra

Let me correct myself... "Sometimes "HE" approaches "HER" in a more gentle way, showing what I would guess is courting behaviour (flicking the body from side to side, while turning yellow). The "FEMALE" just doesn't seem interested AT ALL.

In other words; it seems like the one who's supposed to be a male is actually a female, based on how it's acting towards the other (i.e. turning yellow). But I'm far from an expert...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rob_Knox

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….