• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistos

Gillie

5 Year Member
I'm not going to say it's impossible because I'm sure that someone has made it or will make it work with the proper amount of plants, wood and stones, but I personal wouldn't try it especially if you intend to breed them. I keep a trio of Cacatuoides in a 50 breeder and each female take an end for territory with the male in the middle. The female aggressively defend their territories from each other. Just my experience though.

Dano

5 Year Member
I had an A Agassizi pair and A Cacatouides pair in a 55 heavily planted tank with dithers and it was a continous battle. I now have them in separate tanks, but wish to keep more than one pair in each tank. I would like for others to elaborate on Bob's post so I may learn also.:)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It really depends on the species to be kept together and the manner in which the aquarium is decorated. Trios of the smaller species of the regani- & pertensis-groups, as well as A. wapisana & A. borellii should be able to co-habit a 50 gallon breeder tank - if the tank is properly decorated with line-of-sight in all directions being broken by dense clusters of plants, driftwood, and other decorations.

Your tank probably is too small for other, more territorial species - especially if the tank is fairly open.

Csababá

5 Year Member
natural cohabitants

Sorry for writing here but I haven't found a proper topic (and don't want to start one, so pls move this if needed). I'd like to know what other fish do live in the natural habitat where Apistos exist?

Csababá

5 Year Member
Thank you. I'm thinking of providing them perfect tankmates. Where could I learn more about Apisto's natural habitat (other fish, environment, pictures, etc.)? What is a pyrrhulinid?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Most book on dwarf cichlids have a description of their biotopes. On the web, Tom Christoffersen (http://apisto.sites.no/default.aspx) has some very good articles, with photos, about collecting apistos in Peru.

Pyrrhulinids include species of the genera Copeina, Copella, and Pyrrhulina. They are closely related to pencilfish; some hobbyist consider them just another kind of pencilfish.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RodsAquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….