• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistos eat snails?

mooman

5 Year Member
Just got some new plants and picked up some hitchhikers (small conical snails). Will the apistos eat them, or should I try to crush them when I see them. Will they sneak into the cave and eat eggs?

cdawson

5 Year Member
If they're ramshorn or pond snails most likely they will eat the young. If they're Malaysian trumpet snails then you'll need to trap and remove them yourself. It sounds like they're Malaysians, so you're probably going to need to trap them yourself.

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Hi Moonman,

I had a 30 gallon tank that was extremely heavily infested with ordinary pond snails. I was always pulling out a handful when I cleaned the tank. I put in 3 pair of wild caught A.atahualpa and they were almost totaly iradicated by the time I noticed the snails were thinning out. I caught one of the atahualpa sucking a snail out of it's shell and realized the bottom was littered with empty shells. It's been over a year now since I've seen a snail in that tank.

Michael

Peter Lovett1

5 Year Member
Yes many of the fish from the cacatoides complex eat snails some more so than others but A.atahualpa being one of the better ones. I have snails in most of my aquariums and have never had a problem spawning my fish so for me i say they are not a problem. Malaysian pond snail can be beneficial.

Greg PL

5 Year Member
my A. eunotus (or rather sp. "orangeschwanz") were very keen on snails. it was fun to watch too when the female, merely 1" in total fought an apple snail with even bigger diameter. the snails learned very quickly to keep their antenae short and close up in the shell when apistos appeared.
they were also hunting Melanoides tuberculata, the screwdriver type substarte dwellers.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itartiero

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….