• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistos and Rainbows

Cowboy

5 Year Member
I have a 30 gal panted planted aquarium with compact lighting and Co2. Right now, I have around 7 rainbows, 3 gold barbs, a gold algae eater and a siemenus in there. How would a pair of triple red cacatoides do in there? Would they likely spawn? and could they protect the eggs until I transferred them and the mom to my quarantine tank? If so, would I want to move them out as eggs or wait until they hatch?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cowboy

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It is my opinion that community/plant tanks are not the place for breeding any fish. I am sure that A. cacatuoides would breed in it, but the fry would not last very long. The population of your (or anyone's) tank is 10 - 100 times more dense that is found in nature. I doubt that it would be worth your while to try to save the eggs/fry. A much better option it to have a tank designated for breeding.

Lisachromis

Staff member
5 Year Member
Depending on what species of rainbows you have in your tank, you may already have too many fish for that size tank. What species of rainbows do you have?

starforsaken

5 Year Member
I don't think there are too many fish in that tank...
If there is CO2 and lighting, the plants should be doing really well and sucking up nitrogen from the water.

You could keep those apistos in there and when they lay eggs artificially hatch them in another tank!

Lisachromis

Staff member
5 Year Member
Did you realize that some rainbowfish can reach 8" long? That's the reason I asked. Seven large rainbows would be too many for a 30 gallon tank, let alone with the other inhabitants. It really depends on what species he has.

Cowboy

5 Year Member
The rainbows are thriving. I have had them in there about 3 years along with the barbs and I have only lost on barb (after 2 years).

Thanks for the advice with the apistos, I am not sure which route to take, but it is evident that the fry would not last long in the 30 gal tank.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….