• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistos and Corydoras

H

Hypsophrys

Hey folks, this is my first post here.

I'm considering a pair of A. cacatuoides for a heavily planted 10g. My question is, would they be too rough on my trio of C. panda (or, my Otocinclus, for that matter)?

Thanks,
Ian

mm12463

5 Year Member
Personally I have not had a problem with the A. cacatuoides and 2 corys and 2 ottos when I had them. Ottos are usually out of the way on a plant or the glass. The corys I could see as a problem in a 10 gallon, but I didn't have any issues back when I had mine.

farm41

5 Year Member
I have corys in my larger planted display tanks, where I don't care about gettting fry. In a breeding tank though, there is no place for them. Cory's are pretty tough and very stubborn, it is hard for the apisto's to turn them away, they will pick off fry every chance they get.

G

Gary W.

Cac's and cory's

Hi Ian

My first Cac. tank was 10gal. and had two A.Cacs and three cory pandas.
the only problem I had is when the cac's wanted to spawn. The female, laid in eggs in her flowerpot. Thats when the trouble started.
SHE WAS HELL WEARING FINS!! The male hid during this time and the poor cories they took a real beating, she was relentless.
I finally just moved them to their own 10 gal. tank.
All was well then and the male cac. was a good parent and the female
didn't mind him being there.

good luck
GARY

Zapisto

5 Year Member
farm41 said:
I have corys in my larger planted display tanks, where I don't care about gettting fry. In a breeding tank though, there is no place for them. Cory's are pretty tough and very stubborn, it is hard for the apisto's to turn them away, they will pick off fry every chance they get.
completly agree

Neil

Hypsophrys,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Well, your post said nothing about breeding and that would be where the difficulties would be. As others have said, both can cause troubles for each other during that time. But for general housing, they probably will be fine with each other.

Neil

H

Hypsophrys

Thanks for the replies and welcome.

I'm interested in breeding for the behavior -- The fry are more of a hassle. :) All the same, I hate to see stressed Corys, it's a pretty sad sight.

How large of a territory does a female cacatuoides (or borelli) claim?

Thanks again,
Ian

aspen

5 Year Member
>>'How large of a territory does a female cacatuoides (or borelli) claim?'

this depends greatly on many factors, the most being the individual personality of the fish. some fish will stake out a little territory, and raise their babies pretty peacefully until another fish comes too close. however, i have had fish of varying sorts terrorise an entire tank of fish. fish jumping out of small cracks, fish getting their fins ripped off and killed, and this is in a 90 gal tank with the fish all hiding. it varies with the factors you can control, like types of tankmates and amount of cover, which species you are talking about, and from male to male or female to female. one borelli female i had would continuously attack all of the other fish, in a 30 gal with tons of cover, with a low fishload. i have had cacs raise a spawn in the middle of a fairly tight 35 gal in relative peace. you have to try the fish and do things as they come along, including moving the other fish out if necessary.

rick

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elvashave

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….