• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Viejita

B

Brett

A couple days ago it got a pair of Apistogramma Viejita. This is the first Apisto i have had. I have a 75 gallon tanks with 4 medium size discus and 20 med-small tetras and a clown loach and temp. at 84, Is that ok for them. Also what foods should i feed them. Also could i add any more discus? Any advice on the Apisto could help.

Thanks,
Brett[/b]

Neil

Brett,
Welcome to the forum!
Viejita comes from water that is about 84 degrees, so that should be no problem. How many more fish, in general, you put into a 75 gal. depends on how big the fish are that are in there already. We know the apistos aren't a problem in that regard, and 20 tetra aren't a problem, but if you have 4 six inch discus in there, I would probably not add any more (maybe 1 or 2). Rgardless, the apistos and the discus should be fine together (read other posts on discus), and may even spawn. The water for A. viejita has to be pretty acidic and soft though. And the clown loach might be a wild-card. Good luck. Neil

B

Brett

Apisto

Thanks for the information. I have one more question for you, how can you tell the difference between a male and female Apistogramma Viejita?I know i have a male but the other one looks kinda like the male but smaller. And should i get another female if it is a female so i would have a trio with one male and 2 females?

Thanks
Brett

Neil

Brett,
Depending on the form of viejita you have, you will likely have a tough time telling them apart until they are fully mature. Quite often, even a colorful male will not show his "true colors" until he has spawned or is fairly big. So it is a reasonable to use some of the standard techniques to give you a clue. In the male, there will often be more pronounced rays on the dorsal, anal and the ventral fins. Usually the female has a shorter dorsal and sometimes shows a black leading edge to the ventral fin. Sometimes males will start showing a little red color on the top and bottom of the caudal fin. And, of course, quite often the female from a single source will be smaller, but that is not a particularly good clue. The best clue is seen when you have them in good water, feed them well and they are happy enough for the female to turn yellow with dark black markings on the lateral line, under the dorsal and on the front parts of her fins and face. This is the change she will make beore or during spawning!
Good luck, Neil

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….