• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Viejita

mateomedina

Just picked up an F1 harem of Apistogramma Viejita and i am already in love with these little ones! I would post some pics but i cant figure out how to?? lol

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
To upload photos to the site, it is easiest to use an outside file hosting site such as www.photobucket.com or www.imageshack.com; or another source to your liking.

So, basically when you want to show a picture on the website, you will have to first upload the picture from your computer to the file hosting site. Then copy and paste the image link into your post:

It should look something like this (without the space behind the [ :
[ IMG]http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu305/slimbolen99/Aquariums/photobucket01.jpg[ /IMG]

And the image will show up here in the site.
photobucket01.jpg

If you simply provide the URL (http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu305/slimbolen99/Aquariums/photobucket01.jpg), only the link will show up:

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu305/slimbolen99/Aquariums/photobucket01.jpg

If you have any questions, please ask. It's easy once you get the hang of it, but can be kinda of tricky for folks not familiar with that process.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Did you know that almost all "A. viejita" that are available commercially are actually domestic color strains of A. macmasteri? It really doesn't matter much as long as you like the fish and not the name! ;-)

mateomedina

The first two pics are of the father and the second two of of the harem =)
lol ya after doing some research on this forum i learned about that but i still purchased them because they are some bomb apistos! haha

aViejitafather.jpg

AViejitafather2.jpg

AViejitaHarem.jpg

AViejitaharem2.jpg

pschmitt

I bred the harem. The mother was a wild-caught, true viejita. I am unsure whether the father was macmasteri, a true viejita, or a hybrid, as it is tough to tell based on identifying information referenced in the Mergus Cichlid Atlas Vol. 1 by Uwe Romer.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If the "wild-caught, true viejita" mother is the same as in your U-Tube posts, then she is a true A. macmasteri - not A. viejita. Sadly Cichlid Atlas isn't the best to distinguish between the two species. The descriptions in Koslowski (2002) or mine on the Cichlid Room Companion website are more detailed. I haveseen the true A. viejita in the flesh only once in my 35 years of keeping apistos. Trust me, once you have seen the true A. viejita, you won't confuse it for A. macmasteri.

pschmitt

Yeah, the "true viejita" are the females pictured in the videos. I was not 100% sure they were viejita, but I was hoping. When Ned, the fellow who is retailing the wild caught "viejita", gets them again soon here, I am hoping one of them will be an actual viejita and I can spot him or her. I think I have some specimens as pictured on pg. 803 of Cichlid Atlas, the bottom picture. Mike, do you have access to that book? Do you think that lower picture on pg. 803 is actual viejita, and, if so, if I post some pics, could I get your opinion on what I have? Thanks.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Sadly, I don't believe any of the photos in CA1 show the true A. viejita. The juveniles in CA2 probably are, but juveniles are hard to distinguish from other macmasteri-complex species. There is an excellent photo of A. viejita, labeled as "A. viejita Color Form I", in Linke & Staeck's book. If you don't have any other books, then look at Roland (Rolo) Kipper's photos of the true A. viejita at: http://www.apistogramma.net/apistogramma/apistogramma_viejita.html.

mateomedina

Haven't had a chance to jump on here for a few but i have a question about substrate. For the apistos that i have now would it be better to have light or black substrate to bring out the best colors in my little ones?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The substrate color has no permanent effect on the colors of apistos. To some extent, the fish will lighten or darken to match their surroundings. I find that a neutral colored substrate and sunlight bring out the best colors.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….