• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Steindachnerii literature?

james595

5 Year Member
Hello,

I seek a favor from our experts. I am trying to find some literature on A. steindachneri from peer reviewed journals. If you have come across any and could post the citation, that would be very much appreciated! Additionally, any journal articles pertaining to breeding of other apistogramma would also be useful! I am helping a student with a project involving the spawning of A. steindachneri and hence the need to drum up some literature.

Thanks,
James

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Here's a quick chronological bibliography for scientific literature on A. steindachneri - a.k.a. A. ornatipinnis and A. wickleri (there's probably more):

Regan, C. T. 1908. Description of a new Cichlid Fish of the Genus Heterogramma from Demerara. Ann. Mag. nat. Hist. 2(8): 370-371 (original description as Heterogramma steindachneri).
Ahl, Ernst. 1936. Beschreibung dreier neuer Fische der Familie Cichlidae aus Sudamerikas. Sber. Ges. Natf. Freunde Berlin. 1936: 138-142 (as Apistogramma ornatipinnis, p. 141-142).
Meinken, Hermann. 1960. Eine neue Apistogramma-Art (PISCES, PERCOIDEA, CICHLIDAE). Int. Rev. ges. Hydrobiol. 45(4): 665-661 (as Apistogramma wickleri).
Lowe-McConnel, 1969. The cichlid fishes of Guyana, South America, with notes on their ecology and breeding behaviour. Zool. J. Linn. Soc. 48: 255-302.
Kullander, S. O. 1980. A taxonomical study of the genus Apistogramma Regan, with a revision of Brazilian and Peruvian species (Teleostei: Percoidei: Cichlidae). Bonner Zool. Monogr, Nr. 14. 152 p. (p. 6-26 in historical review of the genus).
Kullander, S. O. 1982. Beschreibung einer neuen Apistogramma-Art aus Zentral-Amazonien: (Teleostei: Cichlidae). DCG-Info. 13(10): 181-193 (comparison of A. hippolytae to A. steindachneri).
Kullander, S. O. and Han Nijssen. 1989. The Cichlids of Surinam. Teleostei: Labroidei. E. J. Brill, Leiden, New York, Kopenhagen, Köln. 256 p. (A. steindachneri reference on p. 74-83).

I have many other references for this species under its various names in non-juried publications from the late 40s to the present.

As for behavioral studies, including breeding behavior, the classic reference is:

Burchard, J. E. 1965. Family structure in the dwarf cichlid Apistogramma trifasciatum Eigenmann & Kennedy. Z Tierpsychol. 22: 150-162.

Dr. Uwe Römer published many valuable papers on apisto behavior in the wild during the 1980s and 1990s, but most are in non-juried hobbyist publications. Probably the best overall synopsis of the ethology of apistos is found in the following book:

Koslowski, Ingo. 2002. Die Buntbarsche Amerikas, Band 2: Apistogramma & Co. Verlag Eugen Ulmer GmbH & Co, Stuttgart. 318p.

Hope this helps.

nellyfish22

5 Year Member
Mike do you still have copies of the translations for Koslowski, Ingo. 2002. Die Buntbarsche Amerikas, Band 2: Apistogramma & Co? I have been told that you are the only one with the translation?

james595

5 Year Member
Mike,

Thank you for taking the time to contribute those citations. You have made this forum an invaluable resource! If I find any related material I will try to post it here so others can find it in the future.

-James

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Mike do you still have copies of the translations for Koslowski, Ingo. 2002. Die Buntbarsche Amerikas, Band 2: Apistogramma & Co? I have been told that you are the only one with the translation?

I sold translations several year ago. I only sold it to owners of the original book, however. I don't have any printed copies right now. It wouldn't be a problem getting 1 or 2 copies printed up, but I have no idea what it would cost now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….