• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma sp. "Purple"

P

paallode

Hey there!
I just got hand of an apisto called "purple" in the store. the store couldn't tell me anything about it except it's from Peru.
Again i'd be very glad if someone could help me with some infprmation. I've tried a google search for it but can not find a thing about it...
Thank you for the help last time by the way.
I'm keeping them at around 78-80F for know.

Please help?

Paal

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
I believe sp. Purple is the same as sp. Frank just from a different source. Last I saw, Frank was coming from the Aquario Lima guys and Purple was coming from Panduro Bros.

Randall

5 Year Member
Dear Paal,

I think Ken (Cichlids1) is on to something. Mike Wise here in the States tells me that Apistogramma sp. "Morado/Purple" is a color form of A. sp. "Papagei/Parrot" and is sometimes sold as A. sp. "Frank."

So there you have it; three fish in one!

Good luck with them.

All the best,

Randall Kohn

fideltagamma

5 Year Member
Hi,

The main problem, with the name purple is, that the fish coming from Peru are not always the fish they sound to be.

I think that Purple or Morado is not sp Papagei but a color form of sp. Pebas. At least as far as I know. And the funny thing is, that I share the same sources as Randall.

Back to my first point. My LFS had a huge import from Peru. The names of the fish were mixed up, and some species didn't even arrive. For example sp. Purple/Morado or sp. Pebas didn't come at all, I suppose, though both should have arrived.

I posted some links in commercial names topic. These are the pictures of the fish my LFS got from Peru. I got a mail from Mike Wise, who guided me with the identification. So take a look at the pictures, and if any resembles to your fish I can tell you what Mike said about it.

That is the only way I might be able to help you.

Regards
Daniel

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….