• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma sp. Maulbruter

Adam - Sydney

5 Year Member
I currently have an opportunity to pick up some of these fish. They are currently about 2 to 2.5 cm long, and apparently unsexable. They are going to be sold in groups of 4. I was just wondering if anyone had an advice or anything i should know before i purchase them.

Also does anyone know if you can raise their fry with microworms?

Thanks in advance
Adam

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Hi Adam,

No problem getting the fry to take microworms or BBS or any other starter food. If well fed with regular water changes the fry grow fairly quickly and mature young.

The females are extremely aggressive when caring for a spawn. The females are also very aggressive with other females once they have staked out their territory. If you keep them in a 10 gallon, you might have to remove the male once they've spawned. Though I've been able to keep my male in a 10 gallon with the mother and fry, but he has to keep his distance and stay in the background. I have a second female in another 10 gallon and move the male back and forth between tanks to service both females.

Michael

BillyBlanks

5 Year Member
Adam are these the fish coming through SLS?

I would have thought they could be sexable at 2-2.5cm as the males should have slightly longer dorsal lappets?

I dont really like the idea of buying 4 and hoping i get a pair, then what to do with the excess fish?!

Konigwolf

5 Year Member
I dont really like the idea of buying 4 and hoping i get a pair, then what to do with the excess fish?!

why send them up to me of course
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Andrew

Adam - Sydney

5 Year Member
The sp. Maulbruter are at SLS. And i agree im not too big of a fan of buying four, but ive heard they are an aggressive species and the chances there wont be another bunch for a long time. So if any of ours die its good to have a back up pair. Id consider going halves with you if they are very expensive.

MY email is [email protected] if your interested (im not sure what my feelings are yet).

Adam

ps. Can anyone confirm they are very aggressive?

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Yes they can be aggressive. Starting with 4 to 6 juvies is probably the best way to go. This allows them to choose their own mates, increasing the chance of compatability. You can usually sell the extra fish to a LFS. They usually pay a little more for a pair.

Michael

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RodsAquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….