• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Sp Harlequin

blinkmiao

5 Year Member
some question again. :oops:
some people said that "Apistogramma Sp Harlequin" is a crossbreed of a.sp inka50 and a.panduro,how u think?
also,what is your view of "crossbreed" between DC?
thanks^.^

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. sp. Harlequin is a species in its own right. It is also discussed under the names A. sp. Zwilling/Twin & A. sp. Hi-fin Panduro. I comes from the same region as A. sp. Inca, only farther downstream.

My opinion of crossbreeding is that as long as nice looking fish are developed and they are openly sold as hybrids, then there is nothing wrong with it. Personally, I find that Mother Nature had done a wonderful job for the most part & I avoid hybrids.

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi blinkmiao,

No, that's not correct. I guess, what you heard or what these people meant is, that the Harlequin seems to be taxonomically located between Inka and Panduro. This is so far, what Ingo Koslowski told me, when the Harlequin was new imported. But in my opinion, the Harlequin is pretty different to Nijsseni, Inka Panduro and Zwilling... but obviously in the same species complex.

But that doesn't mean, that they are crossbreedings, except you want to discuss the evolution of building new species in the nature ;)
Harlequins are natural wild species, and they are from different localities. The Inka is from the Rio Huallaga system and the Harlekin is from Cocha Santiago/Rio Maranon system, a little bit more in the north.

@Mike:
???... Ap. sp. "Zwilling(Twin) has not much to do with A. sp. "Harlekin/Highfin-Panduro". It is a species, very similar to A. sp. inka and A. nijsseni. The Harlekin looks very different to that.

greetings,
Rolo

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Roland,

You are quite correct. I got my names/fish confused. Thanks for correcting me. A. sp. Harlequin was called A. sp. Hi-fin Panduro in a TFH article by Oliver Lucanus, & in Japan it is called A. sp. Urias. It comes from the Rio Huallaga system, like A. sp. Inca/Inka. A. sp. Zwilling/Twin is the same fish that has been called A. sp. High-fin Nijsseni (not the same as A. sp. Inca) and A. cf. payaminonis (Peru) in the USA. This fish comes from a another river system farther north (I promised not to say which one). Honestly, it is getting harder to keep all of the apisto names in order.

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi Mike,

Yes, it's getting harder ... and more ... and more... ;-)

It comes from the Rio Huallaga system, like A. sp. Inca

That's also not correct. As I wrote before, the Harlekin comes NOT from the Huallaga system, but from the Maranon. It's a small creek called Cocha Santiago.

greetings,
Rolo

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The Rio Huallaga is a tributary of the lower Rio Marañón. I was told by a collector/friend of mine that he collected it in the lower Huallaga.

Rolo

5 Year Member
The Rio Huallaga is a tributary of the lower Rio Marañón. I was told by a collector/friend of mine that he collected it in the lower Huallaga

I got my information from Oliver Lucanus... He wrote, that he found the Harlekin in a small creek at the Maranon, north of the estuary of the Huallaga.

So whatever... it's not that impossible, that both is correct. ;-)
Maybe the geographical extension is going far into the Huallaga?

greetings,
Rolo

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I really don't know where in the Huallaga they were collected. He only said the lower part. Commercial collectors are very private about their collecting localities.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….