• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma pulchra...????etc

Fisherking

5 Year Member
Why are there so much confusion about A. pulchra????In Romer atlas and some other dwarf ciclids books A. pulchra is a totaly different sp then the picture shown here and in most other internett sites. And I have red somewere that pulchra red tail is a cross between to sp of apistogramma.
I know that this have been discused before but I am still not sertan about the "real" identety of this sp.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Very simiple. Dr. Römer was wrong. The fish he pictures in his atlas is a pertensis-group species named A. sp. Eartheater/Erdfresser (in Germany), A. sp. Rondonia (in Japan), & A. sp. Lyretail Purus (when originally imported into the USA). Hopefully Römer will correct this error (among others) in his Cichlids Atlas volume 2.

Tom C

5 Year Member
The Swedish company â€ÂSimontorp†has for sale a fish raised in Sweden called Apistogramma pulchra “Redâ€Â. I have attached a link to a poor photo of that fish.

http://tom.sites.no/resize.asp?path=40014b.jpg&width=600

Although this fish has more red in the caudal, it has a pronounced similarity with the fish in Ingo Kosowskis book “Die Buntbarsche Amerikas, Band 2, Apistogramma & Co.†page 299, which he calls “Hybride: Kreuzung A pulchra (Aripuanã-Weibchen) X Blauspiegel-Männchen.â€Â
This is strange, since neither the A pulchra from Aripuanã, nor the A sp. Blauspiegel has much, if any, red in the caudal, according to Koslowskis book.
Is the ¢â‚¬Å“Swedish†fish a hybrid ?

Rolo

5 Year Member
Is the “Swedish†fish a hybrid ?

I don't think so.

A. pulchra is a polychromatic species. All local forms can have red in their caudal... but it is a matter of growing (dominance), food and the color morph, how much red it will be.
Pictures in books are sometimes deceptive. ;-) If I look into a book, I never would be able to identify my pulchras, they are too variable ;-)
I had A. pulchra, where the Xingú and Aripuana form are mixed up. They even looked like these hybrids too, but I also saw true Xingú and Aripuana specimen, looking almost the same.
And I had fry, where some specimen became red in the caudal, some don't. This is the same for all species in the A. pulchra complex.

greetings,
Rolo

Tom C

5 Year Member
Thank you very much, Rolo, for clearing this up ! Now I don’t need to worry about multiplying hybrids, and can give this fish good spawning-conditions as soon as I receive the new male to compensate for the one that spent a night on my basement floor, earlier.

( By the way; I’m the friend of Alf that exchanged fish with you, ten days ago. All the fish I got from you are so fare doing very well, hope the veliferas and urteagais are ok ?)

Rolo

5 Year Member
Tom C said:
( By the way; I’m the friend of Alf that exchanged fish with you, ten days ago. All the fish I got from you are so fare doing very well, hope the veliferas and urteagais are ok ?)

Hi,

hey, nice to meet you here :)
Yes, all fishes are fine, except one of the urteagai, who jumped out of the tank, although I had a glass plate on it.... but there are still enough left ;-)

You should come with Alf next time! This year was my first time there, but I surely will go there again next year. It was very nice...
Many greetings, also to Alf.... and I hope we can change fish next year again ;-)

Rolo

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….