• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma (nijsseni group)

Gabriel

Hello guys.

Here a lot of videos of a pair of Apisto who were sold in a shop here in Belgium.
I don't tell the name they were sold for, so that your jugement remain as neutral as possible.

I hope these videos will help identifying them!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I really don't know what they are. The female shows no flank spot for some reason. The male shows no caudal spot. My guess is that this is a poorly bred A. nijsseni, but only because the male shows no serration on the top of the dorsal fin. The caudal spot is rather large for A. nijsseni, however. Like I write, I don't know because it does not exactly conform to any known species.

Gabriel

They were sold as wild caught fishes...

I don't know if I can trust the shop! Normally I would. Indeed, they don't match to any known species...

Do you want to know on whitch name they were sold?

Gabriel

They were sold as sp. "Matsès".
Quite sure they aren't! So it doesn't help at all!
Finally I wonder if they are not hybrids.
Actually it was only 1 pair in the shop but a guy dhat I know bought them before I went to the shop... (in january) After all this time without any spawn, he asked me if I was interested by getting them.
I think that he poorly fed them (dry food) so I take the best care I can for them and hope they will spawn.. It could help to undertand WHAT they are.
I keep any hypothesis in mind.
Even the possibility that they could be hybrids... Or unmated...
They really remind me panduro but as you told before there is always one or 2 points that don't match....

Reactions: FIL

FIL

5 Year Member
Hello,

I think they are closer of nijsseni that Panduro because Panduro shows a black spot on caudal peduncle and dorsal fin is higher. The female does not resemble at all a woman Panduro. For comparison here are my wild Panduro.

DSC08324%2520%2528FILEminimizer%2529.JPG

dsc07710.jpg

In addition, there are three known forms of Panduro, the A183, A184 and A185

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I would say that the fish in question are A. sp. Matses/Nijsseni-New if that is what they were sold as. It is a species very similar in appearance to A. nijsseni. TomC has good photos of this species, which he collected in the Río Galvez (http://apisto.sites.no/page.aspx?pageid=53 - about ¼ of the way down the page). Gabriel should compare his fish to those on Tom's site. The only difference between Matses and Nijsseni-New is presence of vertical caudal fin bands on Matses, but missing on Nijsseni-New. IMHO they are just populations of the same, undescribed species.

BTW, FIL, I don't believe that you have rights to the photos that you copied from the DATZ Book. I suggest that you remove them from your post. Knowing Rainer as I do, he doesn't like people using his photos without permission (or payment!).

Reactions: FIL

FIL

5 Year Member
BTW, FIL, I don't believe that you have rights to the photos that you copied from the DATZ Book. I suggest that you remove them from your post. Knowing Rainer as I do, he doesn't like people using his photos without permission (or payment!).

it was just to see the difference. I 'm going to remove the photos but i can't remove them.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Click on "Edit" at the bottom of your post. Then highlight the photo-series, delete and click "save". If you have problems, then I will try to remove it as a moderator.

Gwendal

Could be a A. sp. "Matses" as Mike said.
Is really similar with A. nijsseni.

How much are them?¿

1 saludo

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….