• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

apistogramma mendezi or breitbinden

miquel

5 Year Member
some info needed

I want to buy a new apistogramma and my lfs is getting some nice species, but i can't make up my mind. they're getting

a. mendezi
a. sp breitbinden (a164?)
a. paucisquamis
a. sp wilhelmi

can anyone here help me, i mean water values, agression, breeding, and personal experience

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Of the species listed, A. mendezi is the easiest - but not easy - to reproduce; A. paucisquamis it the most difficult to keep and breed, needing a species tank. In my opinion, A. sp. Abacaxis/Wilhelmi is the most colorful of all the listed species, but A. sp. Breitbinden has spectacular fins. The final choice is yours.

blueblue

5 Year Member
All these are interesting species. So, are you an experienced breeder of apistos? Mike's comments are very true and it actually depends on your choice. I myself always tend to select mendezi (the orange type) and
then sp. breitbinden (the one with red spots on the cheek). If these specimens are not available, i will go to paucisquamis (with double-red tipped tail) and finally sp. wilhelmi as this one is less challenging and is a kind of beginner's fish...

miquel

5 Year Member
i've some experience, i've had agassizii, cacatuoides, papagei,panduro,hongsloi,bitaeniata. the first three i've been able to reproduce, the hongsloi's have had eggs two times now but with not much succes until now, young were free swimming but were eaten by the corydoras that were in the same tank.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carsonbd

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(