• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma mendezi fry

arifhb

I would not underestimate the overall difference in environments between a display and a breeding tank. e.g. choice of dithers, lighting, structure...
You asked what could have caused the loss of that spawn and one has to go through the obvious things just as well as the not so obvious.
That said, how long has the tank been setup? You haven't mentioned that if I recollect that right.
This tank was installed in October 2021. The lighting is the same in both environments. The sand in the base and everything I use in the filter are the same. But three weeks ago I put in a coconut shell and they lined up eggs. They hadn't done that since October. The female had used the same shell in her previous breeding tank. With that in mind, I added it back to the tank.

arifhb

Hi all,

No, honestly the others are right, you need a lot more cover and a much more complex environment. If you can easily see the fish? They can see one another

cheers Darrel
I don't think the only problem is optical barriers. I've had dozens of fry from this pair and grown them in a smaller tank with fewer optical obstructions. Why are you just leaning on that? Again, the number of fry was about 10-15, and on the fourth day this number remained 2-3. Men never exerted pressure. As the number of cubs dwindled, the female strangely abandoned her maternal instincts. After that, the male mendezi put pressure on the female.

MacZ

I don't think the only problem is optical barriers.
Nobody says it's the only factor. We all basically say it's a combination and a lack of actual recluse (however that may be realized) for the singular fish is just one of them. We speak from experience with Apistos, other dwarf cichlids, even Malawi and Tanganyika cichlids in my case.
It's a parameter that has turned out very important for most territorial cichlids, if not short term (3-6 months), then long term. Many can confirm that fish without chances to retire start to deteriorate in their physical condition, often with unexpected, sudden declines or abrupt abandonments of spawns.

We (at least Ben, Darrel and I) haven't got another answer for you and you seem adamant on your description and interpretation of what happened. So I can't but let your opinion stand. I just sceptically disagree.

With that, I'm out.

arifhb

Nobody says it's the only factor. We all basically say it's a combination and a lack of actual recluse (however that may be realized) for the singular fish is just one of them. We speak from experience with Apistos, other dwarf cichlids, even Malawi and Tanganyika cichlids in my case.
It's a parameter that has turned out very important for most territorial cichlids, if not short term (3-6 months), then long term. Many can confirm that fish without chances to retire start to deteriorate in their physical condition, often with unexpected, sudden declines or abrupt abandonments of spawns.

We (at least Ben, Darrel and I) haven't got another answer for you and you seem adamant on your description and interpretation of what happened. So I can't but let your opinion stand. I just sceptically disagree.

With that, I'm out.
I guess I can't explain my problem well enough. I don't ask about the long term; I know this! In the short term I asked why is this the case? Reply; lots of storage space... Anyway, I've been keeping dwarf species for three years; wild bettas, crustaceans, apistos, adjarians.. Yes, I am explaining to you because the examples I have experienced do not confirm what you are talking about. I've given examples of their previous tanks and you're still telling me this is the long-term answer! Anyway, I'll close the issue with my thanks. If you have any other guesses, I'd be happy to listen.

coyote_aqua

I guess I can't explain my problem well enough. I don't ask about the long term; I know this! In the short term I asked why is this the case? Reply; lots of storage space... Anyway, I've been keeping dwarf species for three years; wild bettas, crustaceans, apistos, adjarians.. Yes, I am explaining to you because the examples I have experienced do not confirm what you are talking about. I've given examples of their previous tanks and you're still telling me this is the long-term answer! Anyway, I'll close the issue with my thanks. If you have any other guesses, I'd be happy to listen.
Thanks my friend, glad you like it. I used walnut tree and willow tree branches.
Could it be stress caused by toxins from the walnut wood? I know it's a problem for livestock, and its aleopathic properties kill off other plants in food forest / companion garden plant scenarios. It might be causing stress to their reproductive fertility.

Heres an excerpt from Fine Woodworking:

"- It can be a skin toxin. Some years ago, my wife and I cut a bunch of walnut stump sprouts from some stumps near the barn and chipped them in early summer when the sap was running. Several days later, my arms had third degree chemical burns from the chain saw dust and sap that took two months to heal!

All of the dark woods are dark because they have natural biochemical WMDs that fend off rot, insect attack, and plant competitors. Use respiratory protection, collect the dust, and be especially careful if you're sweating and dust can accumulate in your wet spots."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonaldStype

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….