• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma matses?

Jelle Touwen

5 Year Member
Hallo,

In the LFS I saw this apistogramma. They are labelled apistogramma wildcaught peru. After some research I believe them to be apistogramma 'matses' can anybody confirm this?
I am sorry for the bad quality of the pictures, I had to take them with my mobile phone.

Attachments

• app1.jpg
    app1.jpg
    857.8 KB · Views: 691
  • app2.jpg
    app2.jpg
    650.3 KB · Views: 631
  • app3.jpg
    app3.jpg
    622.6 KB · Views: 522
  • app4.jpg
    app4.jpg
    847.6 KB · Views: 576
  • app5.jpg
    app5.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 470
  • app6.jpg
    app6.jpg
    932.8 KB · Views: 507
  • app7.jpg
    app7.jpg
    855.4 KB · Views: 519
  • app8.jpg
    app8.jpg
    791.5 KB · Views: 491
  • app9.jpg
    app9.jpg
    757.7 KB · Views: 495

Jelle Touwen

5 Year Member
No, i did not buy them. First I wanted to know what they are. At this moment I have 2.5 apistogramma bitaneata in my tank. And I don't think it's a good idea to mix them.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I can't be certain from these photos. They just aren't good enough. I can narrow it down to 2 species, however: A. nijsseni and A. sp. Oregon. These are the only 2 species in which the male has a low and even dorsal spines, plus a round caudal. Based on the color, I tend toward A. nijsseni.

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi,

I don't think, they are A. sp. Oregon, Mike.
The caudal spot is much too small at the male, and at the female, the lateral spot is too big.

So, my guess would be A. nijsseni.

Here two pictures of A. sp. Oregon:

oregon_m1.jpg

oregon_w1.jpg

regards,
Rolo

Jelle Touwen

5 Year Member
These pictures are taken a while ago, of the same fishes. Quality is a bit better i think. Maybe this helps?

Attachments

• app10.jpg
    app10.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 402
  • app11.jpg
    app11.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 408

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomek B.

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….