• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Males who breed the fry

FIL

5 Year Member
Hi :)

For several months, I observed new behaviors of certain species in my tanks.
My Apistogramma borellii have shared breeding fry, my male Apistogramma cacatuoides have bred fry and he chased female and male Apistogramma agassizii my "Itaya" have bred fry and he chased female.

Is it a behavior that can be found in the natural environment or is it a disposition of behavior in captivity?

Sorry for the vidéo quality , i don't have camera. It's a video i made with my phone.

Nicolas

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
What you observe in not common, but not rare. This usually occurs in aquariums where the male has no need to guard his territory from other fish. Usually females dominate males when they have fry. If the female is not the 'domineering type' or if the male is super-dominant, the male will sometimes try to brood the fry - with mixed results. We don't really know the reason; boredom? Usually males don't do as well as parents. We don't know much about breeding in the wild. We have observations of pairs of A. steindachneri jointly caring for fry from predators in the wild, but not the male taking over sole duty.

FIL

5 Year Member
Hi :),

Thank for your informations. Yes the male is super-dominant but the pair are not alone in the tank. The male defend very good the fry. It's very very interesting to observe this behaviors.

Other vidéos :confused:

and photo of male

dsc03110.jpg

dsc03111.jpg

dsc03112.jpg

dsc03113.jpg

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
My experience with these two species is that often the pair shares in the brood care although the females usually provide the primary care. I think it is best to think that with these species that the brood care may be distributed on a continuum where sometimes males may predominate, or pairs may share and usually the female primarily provides brood care.
Some unpredictability just adds to the experience of rearing them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….