• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma macmasteri male or female?

qverbeeck

Bought tis juvinile apistgramma macmasteri. Now im not sure if i bought a female or a sleeper male. The shape of the dorsal and the caudal fin indicate to me that its a female but the color looks like that of a male? Some help would be grately appreciated.

IMG_0022.jpeg

MacZ

Due to linebreeding and massproduction the females of domestic breeds of A. macmasteri and A. cacatuoides (the majority of the fish of these species in the trade) have come to show more male attributes like more colour in the fins or on the body than wild (type) specimens. In domestic A. macmasteri that also includes the size, which would have been a great marker otherwise. But I've seen 7cm female A. macmasteri.

All that said: From this picture a sure sexing isn't possible. I would wait until the situation changes. If the fish gets the typical yellow breeding dress at one point you will have your answer. If not and it keeps being chased and harrassed by a definitely sexed male, remove the fish after 2-3 weeks or it will very likely fall ill and die before you know what it is. Bad signs: Permanent stress colouration (stripes), weight loss, often squeezed into a corner behind wood or e.g. a filter intake. If it sticks to an upper corner remove the fish immediately.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macmasterman

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(