• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma juruensis?

antwan

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,

An importer up in Auckland got a huge number of wild caught apistos in. I was sold these as A. juruensis, however im not sure if they actually are or not. Im unsure because he also sold me A. hongsloi, which i have discovered are actually A. bitaeniata, and one of the juruensis is definately an agassizii. I tried doing a google search on them, but since i dont have a male i couldn't be quite sure.

P5010001111.jpg

Anyways, that's her, please help.
Thanks.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The photo is too small to see much detail, but I can say that it is not A. juruensis, which looks much like A. cacatuoides. Your fish is a member of the regani-lineage, probably macmasteri-group.

blueblue

5 Year Member
antwan said:
unfortunately i cannot make the image any bigger because of the picture size limits. any ideas how i can stretch it?

may you please cut the area around the fish out and re-save it as another file? We could then see it closer. Or you could simply put a link of the full photo there, we could go and check it out ourselves.. there is then no concern for the file size :)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
This picture shows none of the dark markings needed to identify the species. Since it does not have abdominal stripes, I doubt that it is a cruzi-like species. I agree with blueblue. It is a regani-group species, probaby A. cf eunotus.

antwan

5 Year Member
unfortunately i have no male of this fish...the importer would not catch specific fish for me so i got four of them, unfotunately no males present. I was sold them as juruensis, and one of them was even an agassizii....so he had a HUGE mix-up with his fish. Thanks for your help Mike Wise and blueblue i appreciate it

blueblue

5 Year Member
antwan said:
unfortunately i have no male of this fish...the importer would not catch specific fish for me so i got four of them, unfotunately no males present. I was sold them as juruensis, and one of them was even an agassizii....so he had a HUGE mix-up with his fish. Thanks for your help Mike Wise and blueblue i appreciate it

Then that importer was very rough!! It's impossible to mix up juruensis (no matter it is the real juruensis from Brasil or the Black-Chin from Peru) with aggies and Regani group of apistos!!

antwan

5 Year Member
yea, i know...i sent him an email today asking what was up, and if i could have them replaced, but he simply said that he had none left... VERY frustrating.

blueblue

5 Year Member
antwan said:
yea, i know...i sent him an email today asking what was up, and if i could have them replaced, but he simply said that he had none left... VERY frustrating.

What a bad store!! by the way, you know, even though i have collected nearly ALL apistos that are available in the market that i am interested, wild caught juruensis (the real Brasil's one) belongs to the very few ones that i have never acquired! So, you could imagine how rare it is... .. .

fishfarm

5 Year Member
He's most likely importing mix bags of Apistos and doesn't care what they should be. Almost all imports have a few strays mixed in that are not the correct species and S. American exported (especially Peru) mislabled fish frequently. Ken

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….