• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma juruense

apisto85

5 Year Member
So i haven't got my fish yet but am going to on newyears eve(5 of them)

So can u tell me about this species...anything u can would be nice :roll: ... and links
how do i sex them..water conditions..and how to spawn them..

Apparantly this was the first time this fish has been in finland...

Scooter

5 Year Member
Hey apisto85. I don't have any experience with this species so hopefully someone who has can answer your questions. If not, see if you can pick up a copy of Uwe Romer's Cichlid Atlas (ISBN 3-88244-056-2). It has a nice section in it that discusses this species along with many pictures. If neither of these options pan out, let me know and I'll attempt to answer your questions using the information in the Atlas.

apisto85

5 Year Member
This book hasn't been seen in finland ever...so could u tell me what the said...

Does south amerikan dwarf cichlids have a good profile on this specias...im getting that one soon(3 weeks)

Scooter

5 Year Member
apisto85 said:
how do i sex them..

From the Atlas "Mature males develop a distinctly lyrate caudal fin, whereas females have a round or slightly truncate caudal fin. The soft-rayed section of the dorsal and anal fins is rounded in females, but clearly pointed in males. Females have conspicuous black pattern on the lower body including a well-defined black anal line. Males often have a squarish anal spot instead." It also says sexual maturity is reached in about four months.

apisto85 said:
water conditions..

"Moderately hard, slightly acidic water is suitable for the long-term husbandry of this relatively undemanding Apistogramma."

"... collection sites are black or clear water creeks that are distinctly influenced by black water"

apisto85 said:
and how to spawn them..

"Males court females ready to spawn in a manner typical for Apistogramma spp (reference Linke & Staeck 1992 and Koslowski 1985). They maintain superterritories and may mate with several females. Spawning usually takes one to two hours. Approximately two to four days later, the larvae hatch."

"While reproduction has proved feasible under a variety of conditions, it is most productive when the water is 24-29 C, acidic (pH 5.5), and soft (ca. 2 dGH and 50 microsiemens/cm)."

Reference for above quotes:

Romer, Uwe. Cichlid Atlas: Natural History of South American Dwarf Cichlids, Volume 1. Mergus Verlag (Melle, Germany), 2000.

Neil

Good ole apistodave was, in part, responsible for the introduction of this species into the hobby. It is a cacatuoides group fish and follows most of the general guidelines for keeping and breeding of cacatuoides. There is a few different types (blue, yellow, etc). They will benefit from acidic, soft water, but can do fine in neutral values. There is a pic or 2 in Apistogramma.coms Gallery. Quite a nice looking fish and fairly mellow. Not particularly difficult to breed or rear the fry. Have fun being the first in Finland :D .
Neil

apisto85

5 Year Member
Now i have got them
they look like
1 he-man
1 male
3 females

They are all in exelent shape and look kinda yellow-blue. What would be this forms name?
Is it possiple to locate the fish habitate by their coloration??

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….