• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma ID?

Burhan

Hello,

Bought two fishes as Hongsloi, they were supposed to be a pair, swimming together in a tank. However, I have a feeling that the male is Macmasteri Red Mask. I dont know about the "female" and she is kinda hard to get a good picture of. But I will post a few images down below. Ive talked to the shop and told them that I will probably come back with the smaller one, but want to confirm with you guys first. Ive only kept bigger cichlids before, so my knowledge when it comes to apistos are not that great.

Picture 1 and 3 is the same fish. 2 and 4 is the same fish. I uploaded them in correct order but they got mixed..
If possible, I would also like to know the sex of the smaller fish.

Attachments

• 05022022-DSC02357.jpg
    05022022-DSC02357.jpg
    406.3 KB · Views: 151
  • 05022022-DSC02363.jpg
    859.8 KB · Views: 132
  • 05022022-DSC02366.jpg
    371.6 KB · Views: 124
  • 03022022-DSC02282.jpg
    03022022-DSC02282.jpg
    897.9 KB · Views: 156

Burhan

2 and 3 don't work, but it's enough to say they are A. macmasteri and m/f.
Thank you MacZ! I really hope it is, I would be so happy if I dont have to return the little one. Because Ive gotten a lot of unsure answers for this fish. Ive also got two answers saying Hongsloi for it. Just to be sure, I will upload to more pictures.

Attachments

• 03022022-DSC02284.jpg
    03022022-DSC02284.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 139
  • 05022022-05022022-DSC02363.jpg
    05022022-05022022-DSC02363.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 146

MacZ

Thank you MacZ! I really hope it is, I would be so happy if I dont have to return the little one. Because Ive gotten a lot of unsure answers for this fish. Ive also got two answers saying Hongsloi for it. Just to be sure, I will upload to more pictures.
I take back what I said about the female and say A. hongsloi as well. The picture in the first post that worked had a bad angle. Now with the other pictures I have to correct myself.

Burhan

I take back what I said about the female and say A. hongsloi as well. The picture in the first post that worked had a bad angle. Now with the other pictures I have to correct myself.
Okey, thank you! Then Im sure of it now :) He/she will go back to the store tomorrow.

anewbie

2 and 3 don't work, but it's enough to say they are A. macmasteri and m/f.
If you click on 2 and 3 it will display them; it is a size thing the small pictures show up in line the large one you have to click on.

Burhan

If you try to exchange it for a macmasteri female in the shop you got them, look for any red in the area of the caudal spot and the lower body. If there is any red, choose a different fish.

View attachment 11029
Thank you Frank, you was actually the first one to say that the smaller one is Hongsloi in the Apistogramma facebook group. The store doesnt have any Macmasteri right now. Someone else told me to return both and buy 4-5 younger ones and let them pair off themselves. Do you agree? He said its almost impossible to find a partner for my Macmasteri :/

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
Someone else told me to return both and buy 4-5 younger ones and let them pair off themselves. Do you agree? He said its almost impossible to find a partner for my Macmasteri :/
Depends on what you want. If you want macmasteri, it's no problem to keep your male alone until you eventually get a female. If you are ok with hongsloi too, I would exchange the macmasteri male for a group of hongsloi (depending on the size of your tank).

Burhan

Depends on what you want. If you want macmasteri, it's no problem to keep your male alone until you eventually get a female. If you are ok with hongsloi too, I would exchange the macmasteri male for a group of hongsloi (depending on the size of your tank).
I really like this male and think he has potential to be even more beautiful. But people say I cant pair him off with other females, they say its to late. If I could, I would like to keep him and buy 2-3 Macmasteri to put in with him and see if he will pair with any of them.
My tank is 120l, but the foot print is 60x40cm. I have driftwood, caves, catappa leaves and plants. So hiding shouldnt be a problem.

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
I really like this male and think he has potential to be even more beautiful. But people say I cant pair him off with other females, they say its to late. If I could, I would like to keep him and buy 2-3 Macmasteri to put in with him and see if he will pair with any of them.
My tank is 120l, but the foot print is 60x40cm. I have driftwood, caves, catappa leaves and plants. So hiding shouldnt be a problem.
As I said, it's no problem to keep him alone and add a female later. With a footprint of 60x40cm I would however only add a single female,

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Something useful to know, don't add another apisto to a tank with an apisto that has lived in it for some time and considers it all to be its territory. When ready to add a female, remove the male, rearrange the tank decor and then add both at the same time. In this way the male has lost its territory and allows both to establish their own.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….