• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma hongsloi

JDogg

5 Year Member
i am picking up a pair of A. hongsloi this weekend.

can anyone tell me a little about this species?

would a pair be comfortable in a 10 gallon?

i am hoping to breed them :biggrin:

Cornuta

5 Year Member
I tried keeping my first pair of honsloi in a 10g. They did fine until they started spawing. The male ended up being harrassed by the female to much, and I eventually lost him. There were also five or six small rainbows in there with them as targets, and it didn't really seem to make a difference.
Keeping them in a 15g with plenty of cover and target fish might work better, so far it's worked for me.

awholley

5 Year Member
Bigger tanks are always better, but I have had good luck with a pair in a 10 gal.

JDogg

5 Year Member
Any suggestions on a diet to bring out the "mood for love" in them?

i was thinking of using frozen Brine shrimp and Bloodworms as well as New Life Spectrum Brand food.

i like the results i am getting in my malawi cichlids using NLS Cichlid Formula and i rotate in NLS community in to my feeding regiment of my 75 gallon. is there a better NLS formula to help induce apistos to spawn...(other then Community formula) or is there a better food all together?

thoughts?

JDogg

5 Year Member
Update:

DSC00508.jpg

i added 6 neon tetra as dither fish

i changed my method of DIY CO2 Diffusion (from the ladder thing to a limewood air stone)

i removed the driftwood and terra cotta pot, and replaced them with some store bought caves...

now normally i go for the "natural look" but i really like the Easter Island Head cave :biggrin: LOL

DSC00522.jpg

going to put peat the the filter, the wood was not effecting the ph in my opinion...

the male is doing what can only be described as a courtship dance IMO. he is swimming up the the female raising all his fins and showing off his colors... he then turns to his side and waves his tail fin at her. she however is not ready for love yet as she swims away. she now has 3 caves to chose from plus some areas of thick plants if she choses to hid from him. i have not noticed any violence however. he is just a "horny boy" and she is not having it. :biggrin:

this weekend i will do the 25% pwc with RO with temp drop and maybe that will bring her into the mood. i have been feeing them frozen bloodworms, but i have yet to see the female eat

Cornuta

5 Year Member
Mine really like frozen brine, cyclops-eze, and a little bit of live bbs. I use NLS cichlid formula for my tanganikans they love it. It seems like a really good food, I just can't get my apistos to eat it with much gusto.
Could always try dropping the water level for a few days, that might help get them in the mood.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….