• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma diplotaenia

fatmarley

5 Year Member
I just came across one of these (Apistogramma diplotaenia) selling for $80, it was 3 cm's.

Why the outrageous price and has anyone kept/breed there?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
$80 each seems a bit high. Usually they sell for around $80/pair (that's 2 fish, not necessarilly a male & female). A. diplotaenia has been bred on many occasions, but it is not easy. They are a sand-dwelling apisto that have special requirements in their water and habitat. Exports to the U.S. are not common, so you rarely see them commercially. When you do, they are expensive.

ProF_FR

5 Year Member
WOWWWWWW

I'm very surprised on these prices when here in france we can find them around 15/20 euros /fish at particular people ...

I just got 4 from a friend who reproduce them a lot ...

ProF

Marc

5 Year Member
I forgot to mention, that this prices are to be paid in shops. I don't know how much you must pay if you gonna buy from private breeders directly.

Zack Wilson

5 Year Member
Just be glad you don't live in Japan or China. They pay like $30,000-40,000 yen for a pair there. That's like $300+ for us frugal US hobbyists.

valice

5 Year Member
I just came across one of these (Apistogramma diplotaenia) selling for $80, it was 3 cm's.

Your price is for a pair or a single fish?
If it is a pair, it is acceptable.

valice

5 Year Member

Your price is for a pair or a single fish?
If it is a pair, it is acceptable.

Price is always a result of supply and demand. Demand high and supply low. High price.

blueblue

5 Year Member
haha... price is something always depends:
depends on quality, source (tank-bred, wildcaught), sizes,
and channel (private breeder or store).

If you know the price i paid for the following pair and the similar ones,
i think you won't complain for the price offered to you :)
http://www.forum.apistogramma.com/showthread.php?t=6089

Anyhow, if you will go to HK, i can give you a pair of F1
for FREE ;)

ProF_FR

5 Year Member
Hi,

Here the average price in shops for wild caught apistos or less common species is 50 euros a pair and when i see that i'm just horrified lol.

ProF

Milk

5 Year Member
haha... price is something always depends:
depends on quality, source (tank-bred, wildcaught), sizes,
and channel (private breeder or store).

If you know the price i paid for the following pair and the similar ones,
i think you won't complain for the price offered to you :)
http://www.forum.apistogramma.com/showthread.php?t=6089

Anyhow, if you will go to HK, i can give you a pair of F1
for FREE ;)

Wow...Free pair of F1 A.Diplo!!!!!I want a pair as well...:tongue: :tongue:
But seriously,the price that you have mentioned is actually very reasonable..Since the availabilty of the species is something rather rare and don't really see them on the shelves of shop...

I rememder last year that i came across a A.Diplo or A .Eliza Female selling at our local store for S$120 per pieces...and it's the only 1 available..

Regards
Milk

fatmarley

5 Year Member
Just be glad you don't live in Japan or China. They pay like $30,000-40,000 yen for a pair there. That's like $300+ for us frugal US hobbyists.

I live in between the Two countries.

As for the fish, I found it is a superform breeding female. And yes the price is only for her, just the one!!:eek:

Zack Wilson

5 Year Member
See...there you go...

Of course, quality is also something you guys in HK pay for....we having our reputations don't even seem to get the chance...at least not any more (we probably did at some point I suppose and passed). It just seems you don't see nearly as much of that cherry-picked stock coming up here.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Isn't that the truth.
We Americans have such an unwillingness to pay the price that many of the best of the best are sent to those who will pay for them. They may come into country but only as a stop over on their way to the Far East.
This is true for Dwarf Cichlids, rare plecos, Corys and wild discus just to name a few.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndrewShNN

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….