• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Cacatuoides foster parent

namek

Hello,

So, my Cacatuoides male died the past week and this saturday i bought a new one. To my surprise, today i saw the female with free swimming fry coming out of her cave.
Also to my surprise it appears that the new male is helping her protect the area from the ottocinctus and the amber tetras that are also in the tank.
Is this a common behavior? Does the male thinks that they are his fry?

anewbie

Male cacatuoides don't help care for the fry rather they claim a territory and protect it. He obviously found 'his' territory. Do not be surprise if the female snaps at him.

namek

ok, thanks, any chance that any fry survive with him in the tank? its a small (40 liters) tank, heavily planted.

anewbie

The female should protect them. However, if the female beats him up you might have to remove him to protect him from her. It is somewhat dependent on individual fishes as to her aggression level but a 40 is probably too small for such a large fish regardless of scaping.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….