• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Borellii Breeding Ph

faile486

I've gotten some conflicting info on this, so figured I'd ask on a forum dedicated to Apistogramma!

I currently have a 10g quarantine tank with 3 Apistogramma borellii, two female and one male. I got them from a local breeder. All fish are currently in dechlorinated tap water. My tap water has a Ph of 8, gh 8 - 10 and kh 5 - 8. I was planning on adding the Apistos to my display/community tank once I get the new one set up. My current display tank is a planted 30g and I'm upgrading it to a 40g in the next month. The stock list includes 7 zebra danio, 1 lemon pleco, plus one or more snails from my most recent live plant purchase. I'm planning on adding some corydoras, as well.

My main question is in regards to my high ph and breeding the Apistos. Will they breed in my tap water or should I switch to RO/DI water?

Apistoguy52

Will they breed in your tap water….probably. Will the eggs survive the pleco/pleco pressure….maybe.
Will the fry survive the danios….probably not

If the goal is to breed them, I’d probably plan on using the QT tank as the breeder, and rotate the odd woman out to the community tank.

faile486

It's a fairly heavily planted tank, will that make a difference? There's java moss, floating hornwort, guppy grass, dwarf lettuce, red-rooted floaters, java fern, anubias, water sprite, amazon sword. Probably some stuff I'm forgetting! If not, maybe a divider that the danios can't swim through?

I've been hoping the zebras will breed, too. They've seemed a bit stressed since the 8th one died, but I haven't been able to pinpoint a reason. The only thing I could think of was I had removed most of the floating plants to add to the quarantine tank, but getting some new floating plants hasn't seemed to help.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
It's a fairly heavily planted tank, will that make a difference? There's java moss, floating hornwort, guppy grass, dwarf lettuce, red-rooted floaters, java fern, anubias, water sprite, amazon sword.
Perfect.

cheers Darrel

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
IMHO a 10 is rather small for a breeding trio of apistos, unless it's A. wapasana. Is it possible? Yes, but the tank would need to be choked so full of plants that you rarely see the fish. In your future 40 it is more likely that a few fry will survive predation of spawns by pleco and fry from zebras. If you only want a few fry to survive, then try it.

anewbie

A. pucallpaensis seem to do ok in a 10; i've not noticed much aggression between m/f during breeding cycle. I realize that technically they are not apistogramma. While not as 'in your face' colourful as borelli they have their own charm.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….