• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma borelli - do I have a boy and a girl? :)

Decay

Hi everyone,

I didn't have much luck with my borellii pair because males kept dying, and the one that I think is a female keeps surviving :) Suspicious right?

Anyway I finally bought another one, but it's very young so now I don't know if I have a male and a female or two females or what.

Here's the video so please tell me what do you think.

Thanks!

Decay

Maybe a photo can help. Does this look like a young male?

IMG_20160331_223556.jpg
IMG_20160331_223616.jpg
IMG_20160331_223632.jpg

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,

I didn't have much luck with my borellii pair because males kept dying, and the one that I think is a female keeps surviving :) Suspicious right?

Anyway I finally bought another one, but it's very young so now I don't know if I have a male and a female or two females or what.

Here's the video so please tell me what do you think.

Thanks!
But the "female" in the video is a borelli !! (Have a look and compare the lateral bands/lateral spots+ the caudal spots !!)

Decay

Most likely a male, but definitely not A. borellii. It is A. sp. Steel-blue.
Thanks a lot Mike, I think u r right. I've just read an artical about these Apistogrammas and they believe it is a mix of Apistogramma resticulosa and A. borellii. Or A. caetei.

Either way does this mean that maybe my female A. borelli can indeed pair up with this mail even though it is A. sp. Steel-blue?

p.s. Also, thank you MickeM

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
But the "female" in the video is a borelli !! (Have a look and compare the lateral bands/lateral spots+ the caudal spots !!)
But is it a female? my guess would be male borelli (with the traditional disclaimer that I'm really poor at these sex/ID threads).

cheers Darrel

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Video isn't good enough for me to ID the first fish. A. sp. Steel-blue is often sold as A. borellii, but they are different species from different species-complexes. I doubt that Steel-blue can cross with A. borellii and produce viable fry.

Decay

Video isn't good enough for me to ID the first fish. A. sp. Steel-blue is often sold as A. borellii, but they are different species from different species-complexes. I doubt that Steel-blue can cross with A. borellii and produce viable fry.

Tnx. That's what happened to me. This male was sold to me as a. borellii.

Here is a photo of a female, as best as i could catch her.

20160403_164409~2.jpg
20160403_164334~2.jpg

gerald

5 Year Member
Keep trying until you get a sharper photo of "her". Doesn't quite look like another steel-blue. The dark horizontal streaks extending through the tail might be a helpful clue.

Decay

I agree, gerald, this fish looks more like A. borellii than Steel-blue. Decay, did I read correctly? You did not buy the 2 fish at the same time?

Quite right Mike

I bought a pair of A. borellii but the male died. I wasn't able to find another one for few months, they are really rare in Serbia, and finally I did, few days ago, but as you explained it to me, it isn't a borellii but a steel blue :(

Now I don't really kow what to do, this guy at the pet store had around 30 of Apistos that he called borellii, but they are all young so I will probably wait till they grow a little and than buy eather a male borelli or female blue steel. Which ever i manage to find.

@gerald thanks.

gerald

5 Year Member
A. borellii has a more zig-zag lateral stripe (extends higher and lower) and smaller caudal spot than steel-blue/caetei, if you need to pick them out from a mixed-species tank.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyzhCrord

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….