• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma baenschi

briztoon

5 Year Member
Hi guys,

I bought an adult pair of Apistogramma baenschi today. I see a lot of females for sale locally, both wild caught and locally bred, but very few males. Has anyone bred them and managed to grow out a good mix of males and females? If so, under what conditions.

Thanks

arodg12

Did some research for you and stumbled upon this:
"All Apistogramma baenschi currently in the shops are wild caught and, so far, shipments comprise mostly females. This is useful, allowing the fishkeeper to obtain groups with the right sex ratio of more females than males.

Soft acidic water is the most important consideration for effective breeding.

People managing to spawn them did so in water with a pH of 5.5-6.0, a hardness of 2GH and temperature around 25-26°C/77-79°F. I recommend using a UV steriliser to reduce the levels of pathogens and prevent the eggs becoming infected by fungus.

Care of the offspring is much as with other Apistogramma species. Most females spawn in the chosen area with their partner and care for the fry — possibly over 100 — usually without the male’s help. Sometimes they allow him to participate in brood care but he is usually driven away.

The offspring will take baby brineshrimp and Panagrellus and grow surprisingly quickly. After two weeks or so they start to develop the distinctive lateral stripes and become sexually mature at about four months. "

Hope this helps!
Corey :)

gerald

5 Year Member
I got more males when I bred A. baenschi a couple years ago. Sorry I didnt keep close tabs on pH and temp, but it would drop into the 5's and then come back up to 7-ish after water changes. My tap water pH is high-7s, but very low GH and KH. I'm setting up 2 pairs to breed again so I'll be watching the responses here.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Apistogramma baenschii is quite widely available in the UK. I'm pretty sure Steve (Ste12000) had some for sale a couple of years ago, so he may have the parameters he used.

cheers Darrel

tuna

5 Year Member
I bred my Baenchi in PH 5.0 and 78 degrees and ended up with almost 1 for 1 male to female.

Tom

briztoon

5 Year Member
Thanks tuna. That's the type of information I was after.

Baenschi aren't that common in Australia. It's really only been the last two years that many species have been available to us.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….