• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma atahualpa

ltrepeter2000

5 Year Member
I have been finding mixed information on this species and was hoping some of the veterans could tell me some of the characteristics of this fish, monogomous vs harem, preferred Ph and hardness, and any other information would be extremely helpful.

Thanks
Rob

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Why not check Römer's Atlas? It provides basic information on this fish. Let's just say that almost any apisto male, when given the opportunity, will breed with more than 1 female - if the dominant female permits her in the male's territory. Don't expect this to happen with A. atahualpa unless the tank is very large.

DH247

5 Year Member
Mike,

I have been looking everywhere for Romer's Atlas 1. Do you know of anyone who has a stash available for sale?

Christine-FishGrrl

5 Year Member
david soares just talked to my local club (SVAS) on Saturday, January 6th. He mentioned that the vol. 1 is out of print due to a fire that destroyed the last 1000 copies stored in a warehouse. He said the printer will be printing more copies in the future. He did mention this species in the talk and in fact had some awesome pictures of them but I can't remember the specifics (only that I think I really want to try them out!), just email Dave at www.apistogrammaidiots.com

DH247

5 Year Member
I recently asked Dave if he had any extra copies for sale when I ordered 2 pair of aggie red-tails (Woohoo! They just came ion today :biggrin:) and sadly he was out :frown:. So I've been back to the net to try and find a copy. But I'm still hunting....

blueblue

5 Year Member
As i remember, the revised edition of Uwe's CAI will be available later on this year... as the first edition has quite a number of errors and mis-identifications, it would be a wiser decision to wait and buy the revised version...

Moreover, i have seen a lot of posts here in the forum asking for the
specific water parameters for many kinds of apistos... Essentially, MOST
apistos can be kept and bred under a more or less similar water condition: Soft (as soft as possible), warm (~26 degree C) and acidic (pH from 4.5 to 6.5). Some species are more demanding while i would say from my experience that:

If you keep ANY apistos in soft and clean water with a pH of 5 - 6, and a temperature of 24- 28, you probably would NOT have any problem. you could breed them and keep them well...

DH247

5 Year Member
Thanks BlueBlue! I think I will do that. In the meantime I have a wonderful resource at my disposal right here! That and it will keep me from getting too over zealous with building up my wishlist!!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
As i remember, the revised edition of Uwe's CAI will be available later on this year... as the first edition has quite a number of errors and mis-identifications, it would be a wiser decision to wait and buy the revised version...

The second printing of CA1 is just that - a second printing of the original book. There will be no changes or corrections. There are some in corrections in CA2, however.

blueblue

5 Year Member
The second printing of CA1 is just that - a second printing of the original book. There will be no changes or corrections. There are some in corrections in CA2, however.

I am shock to learn that... on one hand, it means that the errors are not admitted or corrected (so, e.g., does it mean that the ID for brevis and pulchra in CAI are correct? Unless the whole hobby is wrong, otherwise, they should be corrected...)
CAII does not mention much about the mistakes in CAI, there are some
supplementary materials but they are simply "copy and paste materials" from some working/published research papers (in places, Uwe even mentioned in some chapters of CAII " ... this paper is ..... " )

On the other hand, how come it takes such a long time for a reprint???
From business perspective, when CAII is out, as it is just a supplementary book for CAI, it makes sense to push CAI to the market together so that it benefits both the publisher and customers...

STOKER

5 Year Member
On the other hand, how come it takes such a long time for a reprint???
From business perspective, when CAII is out, as it is just a supplementary book for CAI, it makes sense to push CAI to the market together so that it benefits both the publisher and customers...

As Mike said a reprint is just that, a reprint of the original if it`s wrong to start with it will still be wrong when reprinted.

Why not reprint :- supply and demand

There may be no supply but is there enough demand to warrant the expence of a reprint ?? only by having firm orders can that be decided. No business makes(reprints) anything on the chance that it may sell.

Mike :)

Tom C

5 Year Member
I've got an email today from "Steven Simpson Books", telling me that my order for Cichlid Atlas Volume 2 have been dispatched.

In the same email, they also wrote:

"Looking ahead we will have the revised edition of Cichlid Atlas Volume 1 later this year ; this is a completely revised edition, not a reprint and in the near future the new Aqualog African Catfishes. Further details will be available on our website in due course."

Do they know something we don't ?

blueblue

5 Year Member
I've got an email today from "Steven Simpson Books", telling me that my order for Cichlid Atlas Volume 2 have been dispatched.

In the same email, they also wrote:

"Looking ahead we will have the revised edition of Cichlid Atlas Volume 1 later this year ; this is a completely revised edition, not a reprint and in the near future the new Aqualog African Catfishes. Further details will be available on our website in due course."

Do they know something we don't ?

This is exactly what i know... however, it could be the case that the revised version is just a reprint (as Mike mentioned)!! That could happen if the author does not want to make much changes...

STOKER

5 Year Member
This is exactly what i know... however, it could be the case that the revised version is just a reprint (as Mike mentioned)!! That could happen if the author does not want to make much changes...

HI blueblue

If the new version is a revision that means that the text is revised and not reprinted so this means that in theory any inncorrect facts are made factual , but this may still not be accurate as the revision can only use the information that is current. so shall we say that CA1 is the original the revision would be CA1+ for example . I have in my library
RIVULINS OF THE OLD WORLD by J J Scheel published 1975 this was revised as ATLAS OF KILLIFISHES OF THE OLD WORLD by J J Scheel published 1990

SO to a certain extent a revision by this date is very unusuall .

Mike :)

Tom C

5 Year Member
I think I'll just have to buy a copy of the "revised" edition of CA1 to see if there are any changes....

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I hope that CA1 has revised text, but based on what Uwe has told me it won't be any different - at least in the text. Changing text requires re-formatting the entire book. When CA1 was originally set up for publication (1997) Mergus was using older printing processes that didn't permit easy re-formatting. It required extra time just to put the English text into the German formatted book. That is why it has photos that the German text does not have. I hope I'm wrong.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….