• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma algodon 1, wild-caught, Rio Ampiyacu, Peru

RitaA

Hello everyone.

We bought a group of Apistogramma Algodon 1 (wild-caught, Rio Ampiyacu, Peru) in Scotland last year. I'm not sure on the ID so I put some photos of the fish here and hope that you can help me :)

apisto-hann1.jpg

Male 1

apisto-hann1-2.jpg

apisto-hunn1-4.jpg

Female 1

apisto-hunn2-3.jpg

Female 2

Both females lives in the tank with male 1, the got eggs and fry.
I've got a tip that they can be Roca Eterna.

RitaA

apistohann-ukjent1.jpg

Here is another male, he has evolved into a colorful and beautiful fish. He is clearly narrower in the body than the male that is left with the two females. This male and a female is in another tank, I will try to take some photos of the female if she get in the right mood.

apistohann-ukjent2.jpg

apistohann-ukjent4.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think that Erik probably is correct. A. sp. Roca Eterna and A. sp. Papagei/Algodon-I are very similar. The best feature that separates the 2 forms is the brood dress of the females. A. sp. Papagei females usually show only 2, sometimes 3 lateral blotches on the flanks. A. sp. Roca Eterna females show 4 or even more blotches on the flanks. Sadly, just because the name lists the Río Ampiyacu as the source, this may not be true. The true Papagei comes from the middle Ampiyacu. Roca Eterna comes from a system just east of the mouth of the Río Napo, which is much closer to Iquitos. Many of the "Papagei" now appearing in the hobby are actually Roca Eterna from this river.

RitaA

Many thanks for both answers. So you think both males are Roca Eterna, I think they are so different in color but I'm just a beginner in Apistogramma :redface:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The caudal spot on the female in brood dress looks more like that on A. sp. Pebas than either A. sp. Papagei or A. sp. Roca Eterna. The problem with "A. sp. Algodon" (I or II) is that the imports often include 2 or more species. Now that I look more closely, I cannot see if the male has a triangular caudal spot (Pebas) that is covered by a full Bar 7 (caused by fright) or a horizontal figure 8 caudal spot (Papagei).

wethumbs

5 Year Member
Here is my A. sp. Pebas female in brood care. It looks just like your last pic.

Apisto_s_Pebas_female_broodcare_copyrighted.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marakely

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(