• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma agassizi 'blue'

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
Like I said before, December is the month for Apisto spawning, I guess.

Got two wild pairs of Apistogramma agassizi 'blue' about a month ago. The dominant male promptly killed the other male.

I have the new trio setup in a 75 gallon aquarium with seven neon tetras as dithers. Lots and lots of leaf and driftwood cover, and about 1" of pool filter sand for substrate.

pH: 6.0 or lower (hopefully)
Temp: 76*F

The male had been courting one of the females for quite a while but nothing came of it...until one day about a week ago the female disappeared. Quite disgusted, and assuming the worst, I did a big water change thinking I might stir the corpse up.

The other day, however, discovered the female guarding about 75 or so tiny free swimming babies. For some reason, I don't have any pics of the male...I'll have to go down and see what I can get.

Apistogrammaagassiziblue010.jpg

Apistogrammaagassiziblue009.jpg

Apistogrammaagassiziblue008.jpg

Apistogrammaagassiziblue007.jpg

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
Thanks. I hope folks realize that even the wild type fish are amazing and pretty too. The male still hasn't even grown into colors yet.

Went downstairs a couple of days ago to do some work, and noticed it was like World War III in this tank. Took a peak, and discovered the second female had apparently spawned, and has free swimmers now as well. Gonna have to go oak leaf collecting today; there's not enough cover in this tank for two female Apistogramma agassizi's!

Second female Apistogramma agassizi 'blue' with fry:
Apistogrammaagassiziblue014.jpg

Apistogrammaagassiziblue015.jpg

First Apistogramma agassizi 'blue' female with fry (older fry)
Apistogrammaagassiziblue016.jpg

Apistogrammaagassiziblue017.jpg

Tom C

5 Year Member
....I hope folks realize that even the wild type fish are amazing and pretty too...
Nice fish, Slimbolen99!
But "...even the wild type.."??:eek: In my eyes, domestically bred fish are nothing compared to the wild types:

A. agassizii Flamenco (Rio Tigre):
resizeimage.aspx

A. agassizii (Rio Ampiyacu)
resizeimage.aspx

A. agassizii (Rio Galvez)
resizeimage.aspx

A. agassizii (Rio Tahuayo)
resizeimage.aspx

A. agassizii Butterfly (Rio Tamshiyacu)
resizeimage.aspx

A. agassizii Pastel (Rio Tamshiyacu)
resizeimage.aspx

:biggrin:

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
Absolutely Tom. I love your site and pictures of all the wild apistos. It is an inspiration. I'm fairly confident that there is not a "domestic" strain fish in my fish room.

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
do you keep them in strait RO or do you mix with tap

Tap water treated with a pH down buffer, and filtered through peat moss for 48 hours before being added to the tank. No RO or RO/DI.
pH out of the tap is over 8.0
pH afterwards is in the neighborhood of 4.5
TDS = 572
PPM = 294
kH = 1*
gH = 8*

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
There is no listing because this is only a color morph of A. agassizii without a collecting location. My species list shows listings for different known populations. Not all of them represent different species.

DaRe

5 Year Member
It's not the first time I've seen the term blue on wild agassizii. Has anyone been able to get some location info of this color variant?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
This is a color variant. The species is highly polychromatic. Virtually every population of A. agassizii will have some predominantly blue fish. A better question to ask is: does anyone know the location where this specific blue morph of A. agassizii is collected? The answer for now is 'no'.

edwliang

5 Year Member
There is no listing because this is only a color morph of A. agassizii without a collecting location. My species list shows listings for different known populations. Not all of them represent different species.
mike, i want to know how come the spawned female sometimes has one black spot, sometimes two.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. agassizii females (and most other agassizii-complex species) have a reputation for showing 1, 2, or even 1 on one side and 2 on the other side lateral spots. It is just an oddity for these species.

susanamck

I recently purchased 2 wild females which we just labeled as wilds, under more investigation and lots of calls to the suppliers my lfs told me they were the blue strain collected from Rio nanay river in Peru. Don't know if this helps the ' where they are from question.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….