• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

apisto trifasciata fry wierd behavior

Christine-FishGrrl

5 Year Member
My pair of trifasciatas ('Red') spawned for the first time in early June. Between a power outage, high temperatures and first-time spawn in a community tank, I was very happy thinking that one of the fry had survived. Imagine my surprise seeing two of the fry swimming together last night! The reason I'm posting is that I noticed that the two fry started the flashy-flashy dance at each other, just like their parents do to each other during spawning time. One looks like it could be a male, it's turning yellowish with the black stripe (like the father, not the yellow/black that the mom gets) and acts like the dad during flashy-flashy dance. The other fry is smaller and mottled brown and has the lower position during the dance. However, these guys are soooo little! They are only a centimeter to a half-inch long (total length)! Is this normal? Is this dance just territoriality or a prelude to the breeding dance? I would think they are way too young to breed but they stuck together like glue instead of one running away. Also, this took place in a corner of the tank next to a terracotta pot cave and piece of driftwood.

Any thoughts?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
What you see is normal for juvenile apistos. It is similar to the "rough house" play seen by lion & wolf cubs. It is used to test their strength & compare it with other juveniles their own size. They are practicing for the time when they will try to establish their own territory.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….