• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto sp. xxx? has laid white eggs...what next?

slipstreamv2

5 Year Member
One of my apistos went missing, so I looked under a cave, and saw white/clear eggs underneath the roof of the cave, along with the female. It was so unexpected that I just dropped the cave back.

Hopefully I haven't disturbed the female too much. She stayed in the cave for a while, so I came back later, and dropped some food in front of the cave using syringe. She's been going in and out eating so hopefully that is a good sign. The male seems to be fending off others from the cave entrance sometimes, but will wander away a lot.

Couple of questions (pictures below):

1. What kind of apistos are these?

2. Are any of the following real problems if I want to have babies and raise them? I'm especially concerned about the snails...

I have in the tank, in addition to the dominant female:
the male apisto, and a sub-female apisto
4 fancy guppies
a small molly (1 inch)
maybe 20 or so Malaysian Trumpet Snails

3. I may have flattened the cave a bit when I dropped it back down. The female needs to go completely horizontal (sideways) to enter/exit the cave. Should I try to raise it to give more space inside, or is it better to leave alone?

4. If I understand correctly, when the male and female are ready, they will court, and then the female lays eggs, followed by the male squirting his milt into the cave. Does the female lay eggs even when there's a male of a different apisto species (even though no fertilized eggs will result)?

5. If things are ok, what are the next steps I should do?

MALE:

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

FEMALE:

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

RHS788

5 Year Member
White eggs may mean they are fungused, but not necessarily. I sometimes use Jungle products egg fungus guard to reduce the problem.

Within 3-4 days, she may move them to the base of the cave, and a couple days after that, you should see small fry. I believe your other fish would eat them given a chance, so if you could move the others to another tank that would be good.

As far as food, once they start swimming you have some big hassle choices that work well, and some less hassle choices that work somewhat.

Get with a local fish store (lfs) and see if they can help you with some baby brine shimp, or see if a fish owner in your area can help you with microworms. Odds are not and you can't get them going in time, so go to plan b, which is go to the lfs and buy some Hikari first bites. Place a small dab in a spoon, add enough water to get it wet, then use a small eye dropper or similar to feed some in the area of the fish. Another trick is to buy frozen bbs and place that in some water, like a prescription container, shake it up and place that in the aq with the eye dropper. Stay after water changes but use water of like temperature. Without writing a novel, that should get you started. There are tons of articles on this topic at this site.

Good luck,

Randy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….