• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto Nijsseni

Christople

Hi all, I was looknig into any kind of apisto/dwarf cichilid for stocking my 75 gallon in the summer. I like the look of A. Nijsseni, but can't find much info on google about them so I came here. I also have a pair of P. Taeniatus Nigerian Red, and would I be able to comfortably be able to fit the kribs in with say a harem of 4 A Nijsseni? Any tips about A. Nijsseni would be appreciated.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
First I don't recommend mixing West African cichlids with South American species. They communicate aggression/submission in very different ways, which leads to real problems. A. nijsseni is a wonderful species, but for breeding requires acid and soft water. If you only want them as community fish (not reproduction), they accept a wider range of water values. Personally, A. panduro and A. baenschi - very similar species in appearance - are easier to get and easier to keep.

Christople

I can't find any A. Panduro/A. Baenschi local and have never seen them, BUT I would was already planning on breeding them and also planning on buying R/O water to fit the very low pH requirements. I won't mix the two species, and thankfully I have room to keep my 38 going for the kribs. Any tips on A. Nijsseni, mainly breeding?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
3½"/8cm fish with a species that grows to 8"/20cm is not something I would do - especially if I was interested in breeding the nijsseni as you mentioned previously. Do you have any books on dwarf cichlids? I think that you would benefit from reading some of them.

Richgrenfell

5 Year Member
The breeding of apistos is best done in a species tank. Njisseni is a fish i seek as well. All i can find is Czech bred stuff. I prefer wild.

Christople

So I've decided to change things up and get a harem of A. Agasizzi consisting of 1 male and then 4-7 females depending on the price of the females, would those work with the eartheaters? zI don't have any dwarf cichilid specific books but I do have a book that has of the species discussed so far in this thread.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
To repeat: 3½"/8cm fish with a species that grows to 8"/20cm is not something I would do - especially if I was interested in breeding them. Personally, I would add 1 or 2 more male aggies, but that is your choice.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
In a suitably large and properly decorated aquarium, both male apistos should establish their own territory. When they meet each other at the common boundary of their territories, they will display to each other but usually don't physically attack each other.

Christople

Would aggies and A. Bitaeniata(sp.) work together?, and what would you say about a pair of rams in the mix.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It really depends on the size of the tank and how it is laid out. In a 38 gallon tank (same bottom area as a 30L), I imagine you could put these dwarf cichlids together in a properly decorated aquarium. Personally, I would stick to a trio of apistos and a pair of Rams. Just remember that these fish have different temperature requirements. You won't be able to entirely please both species.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A community tank is not a breeding tank (my mantra). Yes, they will breed in the tank. How many fry survive is anyone's guess. My guess is not many. You will also have a hard time determining which species your juvenile fish are. In this case, you would be better off with several specimens of the same species.

Christople

I would take some of the brood of each species and put them in separate grow out tanks. I have a 38 gallon that I would turn into a grow out tank for the lager juvies and then two tens that I could use for the apistos and the rams IME are hopeless parents so i will just let them do their let and enjoy the show.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….