• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto Newbie

vancat

5 Year Member
Hello all
I have a planted 72G with rummynoses, mollies and other community fish. In a few weeks a friend is giving me a young pair of cacatuoides (triple red) and I am very excited! I plan on putting in a couple of coconut shell caves for them.
I have been reading up on this fish, but I have one question remaining. What is a good diet for these guys? I usually feed the gang assorted flakes, frozen shrimp, and frozen bloodworms. Any other suggestions? Or, any suggestions at all?
Thanks!

mordor

5 Year Member
They should be fine on this diet. You can also hatch baby brine shrimp or buy live brine shrimp if it's available in your LFS.

aspen

5 Year Member
that sounds like a good arrangement. i would put their 'home' in a quiet secluded place in the tank, with minimal current. ime, they will like that.

do NOT forget quarentine. even though a friend is giving you those fish, you don't want anything untoward happening to your tank. a disease may not show up, till you re-locate fish.

have fun, rick

Neil

vancat,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

It sounds like they should be very happy in your tank. As long as you vary the diet, it will work. However, apistos tend to be a little picky about certain types of flake food, so you may need to experiment a little. I use OSI Marine and most of them seem to like that pretty well. Good luck and keep us posted!
Neil

vancat

5 Year Member
Thanks, all

Hey, thanks all you folks. I feel confident about them now. And I WAS wondering if I should quarantine...he has had these fish for 4 months. And I do quarantine 98% of the time. But sometimes I wonder if that only adds more stress? Then they have to get moved twice! What is everyone's opinion? Although everyone's opinion will mean doodley-squat if something bad happens.

thanks!

Ron

5 Year Member
Thats the same diet I feed mine (frozen brine shrimp, bloodworms and cichlid flakes).
My 75 also houses rummys and 2 angels.

vancat

5 Year Member
Hi Ron,
I thought you might find this interesting- I had an angel in there for EIGHT YEARS and it just died last week!

The rummies I have are getting up there too, I think 3-4 years old for some of them. They are great fish, aren't they?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….