• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

apisto maubrooder (spelling ?)

B

bob major

I HAVE SOME WILD FISH FROM PERU THAT APPEAR TO BE THIS SPECIES FROM PICTURES POSTED. I ASSUME THE FEMALE MOUTH BROODS THE EGGS. IF ANYONE HAS SPAWNED THEM COULD YOU TELL ME INCUBATION TIME,DOES THE FEMALE REMAIN IN A CAVE DURING INCUBATION,IS THE MALE EXCEPTED AS A GUARDIAN OF THE TERITORY AFTER THE FRY ARE FREE SWIMMING

Neil

bob major,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

My experience with Maulbruter was like many others, frustrating. I was working with this fish close to a year ago for months. I had close to 10 spawns and 11 fry to show from it. The standard routine was that the female would be inside the cave for several days, then come out with nothing in her mouth. A couple of times I thought that she was holding the wigglers in her mouth and she would not eat, but then started hiding from the male shortly thereafter with no fry. The last couple of times were a little more successful, but not much. I dropped the pH and hardness to under 5pH and 40ppm. Temp was about 80. By this time, I wasn't paying quite as much attention to them, but I didn't feed during the critical time. Sure enough, I saw a few wigglers in a pit she dug behind the breeding cave, so I fed her. She ended up keeping these fry, but I lost her soon after.
I now have another pair set up to try it again. I will probably remove the male immediately after spawning this go-round. I will post my experience if something comes of it. There are a few others that have had success with Maulbruter. The key seems to be clean water, low TDS and a fine substrate. Good luck, Neil

Richgrenfell

5 Year Member
I have had moderate success with them. At first, I had them over gravel. The spawned quite often, but i saw no fry. I now believe that the female was losing them in the gravel. I should note that they are delayed mouthbrooders, meaning that she mouthbroods the fry and not the eggs.
My female has given me 2 batches, the 1st was 20 or so, and the last was 26, but i had to cull down to 18 because I had a bunch of belly sliders in the 2nd batch. I had no success till I put them over fine sand, and i used 100% rainwater.

Rich

Neil

Get this!
Everyone (including me) goes to such great lengths with A. sp. "Maulbruter". I have another pair set up right now that has spawned several times. Low pH, TDS and hardness with sand substrate. Poor results again. No free-swimming fry in the tank.
The tank I took the pair out of has 10-12 other large "maulbruter" in it (20g). 1/3 tap, less regular water changes, no substrate, no caves and 1 foam filter. I have a female that layed on the glass and spent very little time with the fry in her mouth. They are a week old now and she is protecting them herself. I am not even sure which male she spawned with. Although she has lost few because of the crowded space, she has been a remarkably good guardian.
This seems to happen with many tough apistos. Try too hard to make things perfect (or what we may think is perfect) may not be the best way.
Neil

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:D

Reminds me of the Charlie Grimes opinion that sometimes fish spawn because they have nothing better to do while locked in a plain glass box with plenty of the opposite sex around.... what would any of us do? :wink:

Randall

5 Year Member
A. sp. "Maulbruter" Photos

Dear Rich,

What spended photos you have posted on your website! I especially like the shot of your female maulbruter holding fry. Please tell me how you get your photos to come out so clear and sharp. I could use all the help I can get.

Thanks!

Randall Kohn

Richgrenfell

5 Year Member
Randall, what type of camera are you using? SLR or digital? I have better luck in aquarium photography with a digital. The main part of getting good pics is to know exactly what your camera does, and learn to use it's capabilities to your advantage.

Rich

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….