• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto inbreeding?

Eva32181

5 Year Member
I know that many of the apistos sold as pairs are actually siblings, often from the same spawn. To what point can you breed sibling apistos before there are problems? I sold five sub-adult borelliis to a friend in town, and he was skeptical that they could be bred b/c they are from the same parents. Any thoughts on this?

p.s. Borelliis spawned last night - I actually was walking by the tank and saw it - they had always spawned in secret before. :D

jvr

5 Year Member
inbreeding

Hi Eva,

With the proper amount of culling inbreeding should not be an issue for a few generations. However, it does not hurt to add new blood to your bloodlines every couple of generations. Another method used by many guppy breeders is to get a spawn, split them( A line & B line), breed the split up fish, split the offspring do this for 3-4 generations and then cross the lines back offspring in the A line back to the B line.

Many guppy breeders feel that it takes 5 generations before you need to add new bloodlines and cross back out.

I would recommend crossing out whenever you can get a new bloodline to add to your fish. However, be selective and don't add weaker genes.

There are probably many varied opinions on this subject. Frequent infusions of new genes will in my opinion strengthen the fish. Now if you want to breed for solid colors etc, then keep working with the same lines.

Hope this helps

John

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….