• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto ID

Microman

5 Year Member
Hi Yan,
I am by no means an expert at Apisto ID, more of a novice,but these fish certainly look like young adult Apisto SP Masken/Painted Face.
I have a pair that have just spawned and are guarding eggs as we speak,your
fishes brooding colouration is identical to mine.
I have found these fish undemanding and certainly easy to spawn if conditions
are to their liking.
Good luck,
Mark.

B

benedictj

Those look like Opals to my eye, but I'm new to this as well.

Yan, How many of those did you get, they're gorgeous?

BTW, is israquarium your domain? I wound up there the other night looking for some info on some plant maintainence (pruning anubias). It's a nice site, though it took me a while to translate.

ARWoodi

5 Year Member
I do not think it's a.borelli opal, looks more like a.steel blue.
Description of it can be found in Romer's book Cichlid Atlas 1 on page 928.

I used to keep this species, but apparently the LFS here in Singapore only sells the male. A very agressive species indeed.

cootwarm

5 Year Member
I agree with ARWoodi. They are sp. "Steel Blue" and females are extremely rare, almost non-existant. They are thought to be a hybrid cross between borellii and another apisto, cruizi if I remeber correctly. They've been discussed quite a bit on this forum, especially last year. If you do a search on "Steel Blue" here on this forum you will find more info about them, although even that info is limited. Not much is known about them, even by the experts. But their concensus is that "Steel Blue" is a hybrid from asia, probably in the singapore region.

It's not clear if the reason for the lack of females is due to being hybrid or if it's a marketing strategy to limit competition. But they are found everywhere, usually being sold as something they are not. Many members o this forum have been burned by this, myself included. They are usually inexpensive, like they're mass produced.

Michael

Apistt_ed

Hello Yan,

To the question on whether your apistos are A. sp Cara pintada/masken/apache/painted-face, that they are! The male seems to be in picture 2 to be in his aggressive dress and the female is the correct female of the same fish. You will find that the fish isn't that productive and a batch of 30 fry is very good for them. Your fish seem to be full grown as many times the males will not develope the colors that your's exibit until they are mature enough to spawn. The fry grow very fast and with frequent water changes and a good diet of bbs to start when freeswimming and graduating to brine shrimp and daphnia (if possible) as I have, they will be mature by 4-6 months of age. The male doesn't do anything during the rearing of the young so you might as well pull him out of the spawning tank unless there are other fish in there with them. If they are in a separate tank, you should really think about removing the male as the female will beat up on him as he tries to help in the rearing of the young when they get more adventurous and wander far off from the female. They are a great fish, but once you do see that the female is starting to neglect the care of the young, you should pull her out as this is when she is getting close to starting a new batch. Best wishes to you. john

scott

5 Year Member
those are definetly steel blue. romer's cichlid atlas has a section on them with pictures. although he talks about breeding behaviors etc. all of the pictures in the book are of males. i found the section to be a little vague.

Yan

5 Year Member
Thank you John.

So far the female is calling the male into the jug , but he doesn't seem to pay attention to her.

Yan

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndrewShNN

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….