• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto Ag. Red Tails

LindaMC

5 Year Member
I purchased a pair of Apistogramma agassizi Red Tails approximately 10 months ago and lost the female this past summer. I just purchased another female who is suppose to be about 7-8 months old, although the size difference is pretty dramatic. He's a big boy, about 2 1/2 - 3 inches from head to tip of his tail. The female seems to be doing well but she's appears to be very scared, as the male has been chasing her a lot, he also did this with the female who passed away. He does not seem to chase her until she swims away from him. She has recently breed before being shipped, in fact, she still had her yellow breeding color when I added her to my tank. Could this be why she keeps hiding and running from the male? What are the chances of them spawning in the near future?

They are both alone in a 10 gallon moderate to heavily planted tank w/ADA Aqua Soil, as the ph and kh are very low. I just ordered new lights 2 x 40 watt dual satelitte but I only plan on running 40 watts and will also need to run CO2, hopefully this will not be a problem with the low ph and kh.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I would like to see them spawn. I also have a pair of juvenile caucs, orange flash in my 29 gallon community tank. I already notice a difference in the behavior between the male and female, the male seems to tolerate the female being around him, where I've never seen this action from the male red tail.

thank you!
Linda

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Once she fills with eggs & ready to breed, he will behave better. The male will drive any female out of his territory (the entire tank) if she is not ready to breed. He does not want a non-breeding female taking part of his territory & is waiting for a spawn-ready female to enter it.

I would suggest that you remove the male until the female is full of eggs. Then add the male to the tank. Once they breed remove the male. Even at her much smaller size, she might attack the male in such a small tank.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PGH Jeremy

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(