• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Anyone Bred Apisto Panduro?

Plants'n'Apistos

I'm getting some Apistograma Panduro soon, anyone have any tips on Panduro. Such as pairing, spawning and fry care.
I have a ten gallon setup for them with very few basic plants (Parrots feather, Java Moss, jungle Val, E. tenellus and one stem of ludwigia repens) lots for leaves, hollow piece of driftwood (100% hollow, weirdest piece I've ever seen) a small in tank filter and a air stone.
Apisto tank.JPG

Cheers

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
IMHO a 10 is a bit small for anything but a bonded breeding pair of A. panduro. You'll find information of care & breeding here and on many sites on the web (some are even dependable:D). Just do a search. Most of the books on dwarf cichlids also discuss this species.

wethumbs

5 Year Member
In a 10 gal. tank, they will work themselves down to a pair. Worst case scenario you will have ONE gorgeous male, so all is not lost.

Plants'n'Apistos

I mean to put a Male and a female in the 10 and if I get any others in my 50 gallon, if the ones in the ten don't pair of then I'll switch the unresponsive one out until I have Pair

Plants'n'Apistos

I'm most like;y getting 4 Apistogramma Panduro, should I get 1 male and 3 females? or two pairs (i'm fairly sure I should get 3 females just checking)

Tank has cleared up too
Apisto tank.JPG

regani

5 Year Member
I haven't had great success with buying pairs of panduros, they seem to be quite picky when it comes to choosing a suitable partner and I was soon left with only one fish. You are more likely to get a successful pair if you buy one male and three females.
10g is still pretty small and it is more likely that bad things will happen in a small tank.

Brown Water

Got mine going in a 10, first female ate about 6-8 spawns. Got sick of it last month, switched her out and now have free swimming fry. Go figure.

Plants'n'Apistos

Got 4 today, all look good (as you can see 3 females and 1 male) they're eating the mosquito larvae within the bag while it is adjusting to the temperature.
They're around one inch now, how long untill they can breed?
20130613_201004.jpg

cheers

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If they are visually sexable, then they are mature enough to breed. You'll know you have a pair once they try to destroy the other 2 fish. I suggest that you add pieces of floating pipe to the tank for the 'loser' to hide in until you can remove them. Good luck. Next question to answer: once they breed where are you going to put the fry??

Plants'n'Apistos

Where to put the fry is an excellent question as two seem to have paired off and are annoyed at the others. They have disapeared into a cave and the male only comes out to watch me sometimes, last I saw she turned a lttle bit more yellow so I'm hoping I'll see some eggs soon.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=MWitZZDuvhk
This a vid from yesterday, not they're a little more aggresive
Thanks for all the help

Plants'n'Apistos

They are now sitting in a cave were the male will show of constantly and the female is yellow, the male sometimes will swim around checking for intruders. I have been doing 40% water changes for the past two days and feeding them only live mosquito larvea and live bloodworms.
Very exciting as they are my first attempt at breeding apistogramma

krib

Do A. panduro females have a visible egg tube prior to spawning like other cichlids? Mine have turned yellowish and look plump but no visible egg tube. (I definitely do not want to hijack the thread, just thought it would be a waste of forum space if I started another thread for this)

Plants'n'Apistos

New problem has irisen, my pair is looking awesome, the female is full breeding canary, she entices him into caves when they swim by them... But the male doesn't even notice her when she does this. They are paired for sure but he doesn't care it seems. Could I put another male in there to get him puffed up? The tank has lots of hiding spots, could it be a cac male?
Cheers

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….