• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Any reason I shouldn't feed Northfin Betta Bits, and other questions.

mrjbacon

5 Year Member
I bought 2mm NorthFin cichlid pellets and some of the Fluval Bug Bites for my apistos' prepared foods, but the cichlid pellets are a lot bigger than I expected and the fish have trouble eating them. I'm wondering if there's any reason I shouldn't feed them the remainder of my Northfin Betta Bits, which are 1mm, until I can order the 1mm cichlid pellets through my LFS? It's only the 20g pouch.

I supplement this with frozen bloodworms and spirulina/brine shrimp from Hikari, but only because it's what's readily available. The apistos don't seem to like the spirulina/brine shrimp mix, but my other fish gobble it up. They all love the bloodworms.

I'm hesitant to feed bloodworm more often though, as I've seen quite a few folks online recently with what appears to be a camallanus worm infestation. I'd like to feed some live foods but have no access to cultures like vinegar eels or whiteworms. Is there anything else I can add to vary their diet a bit more?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If your fish are willing to eat Northfin pellets, I see no problem using them. You might want to break them into smaller pieces or soften them in some water before adding to the aquarium.

Everyone here knows I have had problems with my apistos accepting dry foods. I've tried many; no luck. I gave a talk in Salt Lake City last week on my 40 years of keeping apistos. One thing I said was to feed a balanced & varied diet - including dry foods if your apistos will eat them. Mine do not. After the talk a member suggested I try Fluval Bug Bites. I'm always willing to try something new. I bought some and miracles of miracles my apistos didn't spit it out! Although not eaten super-eagerly, they did eat it. Looks like I can add a dry food to my apistos' diet!

Ttw

5 Year Member
I have had some success with Hikari Vibra Bites and freeze dried tubifex. Also luck with Repashy Bottom Scratcher. However, the only apistos that will eat these are my erythrura. None of the others are interested.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….